Anschutz prone stocks

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

stuann

Anschutz prone stocks

Post by stuann »

I am looking at an Anschutz prone stock. How do you tell the difference between a 1411, 1811 and 1911? What would be reasonable prices for each?
Thanks

Post by Guest »

1411s have a straight bolt handle with a metal ball, and the safety catch mounted on the rear of the bolt.

1811s and 1911 both have the newer bolt with a curved handle and a larger plastic ball. 1811s have a small steel block screwed onto the barrel for the foresight; while 1911s have grooves cut directly into the barrel.

There are some rifles called 1411 that have the newer bolt. These usually have an "X" suffix to the serial number. They are also called 16xxs to differentiate from the older 14s (often called Match 54s).

If you just meant the stocks well the 18 and 1911 both have the same stock. Stippled pistol grip, height adjustable cheekpiece and a plastic butt-plate. Most 16xx stocks (and 1970s 14/match 54 too) are identical to this, however some may have a smaller rounder trigger guard.

Old 14 series stocks probably won't have the adjustable cheekpiece, and may have chequering not stippling. Really old 14s might even have a fixed butt-plate, and are quite sculpted and less blocky looking than later stocks.

The price depends upon the amount of adjustment and condition. If the outside is a little tatty you can save money and refinish it yourself.

Hope this helps

Tim S

Exeter, UK

Prone Stock for an Anschutz

Post by Guest »

Stuann, I have an Ian Robertson prone stock for a 2013 available. It would be a "drop-in" for any 2013, as it uses an aluminum bedding block. Let me know if interested.
tOMS

PRONE STOCK

Post by tOMS »

i HAVAE A PRONE STOCK FOR THE OLDER ANSCHUTZ, NO ADJUSTABLE CHEEK PIECE. sTOCK IS VERY NICE WOOD AND IN GOOD CONDITION. wOULD TAKE $200.Tom at sspriggs@bresnan.net. Thank you.
Juan Carlos

About the "X"

Post by Juan Carlos »

Tim S from Exeter wrote:

"There are some rifles called 1411 that have the newer bolt. These usually have an "X" suffix to the serial number. They are also called 16xxs to differentiate from the older 14s (often called Match 54s). "

In Spain the "X" suffix is mostly understanded as a high grade precision barrel.
Can you confirm that Anschütz agrees with your opinion?.
Thanks
Juan Carlos

Post by Guest »

The "x" prefix is generally held to stand for "experimental" refeering to the new bolt and trigger mechanism.

Incidentally early 16 series had a slot in the bottom of the bolt, this was apparently to reduce air pressure when the firing pin was released. It also let in fouling into the bolt, and was discontinued before the 16xx became the 18xx.

Regarding barrels, popular rumour has it that 16xx barrels were made with a particularly high grade of British steel, and that these barrels were on average very good; with more "very good" barrels than before or after.

Tim S

Exeter UK
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

Look here http://www.masterclassstocks.com for your stock needs.
Albert

X barrels

Post by Albert »

Here in The Netherlands I have heard many old-timers say that the X-marked barrels were special selected barrels with very high quality/accuracy. From what I heard, in the 1960's barrels were made of a different/special steel quality with better accuracy or lifespan.

Albert
(The Netherlands)
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

Albert, since it is so easy to rebarrel and otherwise alter and customize firearms here in the USA (unlike some Euro countries like Italy), most people think nothing of it if the barrel of the rifle they are thinking of buying is not the best. You just simply negotiate the cost of a re-barreling in the price.

We are lucky to have several of the best barrel makers in the world (Krieger, Hart, Lilja, Obermeyer) here, as well.
ADC59

Anschutz Prone Stocks

Post by ADC59 »

As is indicated here, later model M1411, M1611, M1811, and M1911 stocks are functionally similar. Later model M1411 stocks (early to mid 1970's) have an adjustable cheekpiece and stippling on the pistol grip. They also have a large cutout on the left side of the stock above the pistol grip for the bolt mounted safety. The M1611 stock is essentially the same without the cutout. M1811 and 1911 stocks are essentially the same as the M1611 stock with a revised trigger guard.
Alan Carey