MG2 Struggler:

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

You know, if you really don't like the MG-2, trade the thing in on a High Standard. THOSE are known to be as reliable as a brick.
guestee

I would love the MG2 if it delivered....

Post by guestee »

I bought my MG2 after having tested a new specimen belonging to a friend.
A few jams occured during a brief test firing of say 50 shots or so with that then brand new MG2.
Yes, the jams should have warned me some, and made me a bit reluctant, but the MG2 concept was intriguing and tempting!

My friend said he thought the jams would dissappear after a "break in" period.
They did not, problems got worse.

The MG2 has very good sights, the unusual, but comfortable feel of the gun under recoil, the dry fire feature...
The MG2 had a lot going for it.

But, sadly, no MG2 I am familiar with is a reliable shooter.
That, is what I dislike.

A High Standard? Yes, reliable they may be, but, well, the High Standard pistols are kind of a different concept, modestly spoken.
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Guestee - if you still own your MG-2, I would strongly suggest that you contact MatchGuns directly and get them to fix the pistol. I had problems with mine, and they fixed it promptly and professionally. My personal experience with their customer service has been excellent.

Brian James who has posted here has run into troubles with his early serial number pistol. We collectively put a lot of effort into making it work, but were unable to because we simply didn't have a large enough bin of spare parts. Rather than wait on more parts to come from Italy, Brian opted to send his pistol back to the factory for repair. Matchguns is bending over backwards to fix the pistol for him.

Like you, there are many of us who view the MG-2 as a very interesting pistol, and one that feels very good in the hand. You sound like you are very frustrated with yours, and I sympathize with your feelings. But if you approach Matchguns in an open, fair and gentlemanly manner, I strongly suspect you will find they will deal with you in the same way.

I should mention that my two MG-2's work perfectly and are a joy to shoot. I truly hope you are successful in achieving this same degree of reliability with yours. Once you do I know you'll be very satisfied with they way they perform, and the positive effect they can have on your scores.
Last edited by Mark Briggs on Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
davidInOttawa

The MG2 is the *BEST* standard pistol I have ever owned!!!

Post by davidInOttawa »

So.. it looks like the waters are a little safer to wade into now.. most of the vitriol has already been spewed..

I just wanted to add that my MG-2 is great! It did have to have service straight away (new barrel/extractor and slide, my serial in the 15xx range) but that was handled quickly and professionally (all taken care of by my local dealer within 2 weeks!!!).

Since then I have not had an MG-2 related alibi during competition (I did shoot 50 points of air, because I'm an idiot and left it on safe before a rapid fire series!!!!!!!!! lesson learned).

</Mark Don't Read This Bit...>

Now.. I'm not proud of this (and I'M NOT BRAGGING!).. but I suspect I *had* one of the dirtiest MG-2s around. After about 3500 rounds I finally had to take it apart (and drift out the hammer spring) to give it a thorough cleaning.. sediment was sooo heavy IN and around the hammer spring that it was causing light strikes. Once I cleaned it up, the spring was able to fully compress again, and no problem.

</OK Mark You Can Open Your Eyes Again! :->

For the record, I do not recommend that you wait that long before stripping your MG-2 and giving it a thorough cleaning. I also do not recommend you try using a Glock for a centre-fire bullseye competition (You *WILL* get your ass handed to you). I also do not recommend that you use an MG-2 in a combat environment.. it is a Ferrari not a Hummer.

So Canada, Switzerland, and the US seem to be getting great service from MG.. Why Germany and France would be singled (doubled?) out for Cesare's scorn, I don't know.. But I do remember that Brian mentioned that he got great service when he *called* them. Perhaps calling them will help?? Brian mentioned that they were able to help him in French..

Add me to the list of working MG-2s.. and *no* it's not for sale (though your welcome to try it out if you are ever in Ottawa).

Cheers,

David
guestee

green from envy

Post by guestee »

I am turning green from envy over you folks that own problemfree MG2s.
Why not me? (crying...)
----

No, I wasnt me.... I have never ofted for using any glock in a ISSF centerfire program. That idea could hardly strike my mind....
Mad Max

Post by Mad Max »

Someone said before in this thread that a Hammeli 208 is useless for RF. Perhaps you need to be reminded of that the world record in Standard Pistol was set witn an 208 about 20 years ago. 10s Standard Pistol series is not the same thing as 4s RF series, but they are in the same domain.

Perhaps it is time to end the discussion about that (a well working) MG2 is so much superior to other pistols It is the skill of the shooter that makes results, not the pistol it self.

I stand by my words when I say that MG2 is an absolute disaster. I have seen none, absolutly none, working MG2 here in Sweden. It's sad, but still a big failure.

/Max
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

You might consider this a quibble and even borderline "off thread," but the "Rapid Fire" [sic] portion of the Standard Pistol event is a very different animal than the Rapid Fire discipline.

While the 208s is absolutely fabulous for SP it is perhaps a clumsy dog for RF . . .

Steve Swartz
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

Steve - your post is hardly off-thread. I think there are many who would agree with you. From a personal viewpoint I can add that my S&W Model 41 is an absolutely beautiful pistol for slow and timed fire, and holds its own in the rapid section of Standard Pistol. But it is an unwieldy pig when trying to shoot anything faster than 10seconds.

Olympic Rapid Fire truly is a different game. A gentleman who has been very well placed on the Canadian national pistol team in Rapd Fire in the days of the .22Short simply could not even begin to compete with his beloved Hammerli 208 which, if memory serves, brought him to being national champion in Stanard Pistol. Where Standard Pistol ends, Rapid Fire begins.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Mark Briggs wrote:Where Standard Pistol ends, Rapid Fire begins.
With Rapid Fire having the area of the 10 approximately 3.5 time the size of 10 for Standard Pistol I prefer to say "Where Rapid Fire ends, Standard Pistol begins" ;-) (but then I would be expected to say that, I always shot much better Standard than Rapid).
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

That's odd...as I had hoped to use my 208S for RF. Strip off the 250 gram weight and have at it.

I'll concede readily that the Hammerli 280 is not really that good for RF, but I really think that a 208 without the weights might not do badly.

If nothing else, I've got an Izh-35 that could use a job...it'll do until the RF situation settles out.