"UNIQUE" Owners Check in

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
adds033

DES 69

Post by adds033 »

I have a Unique DES 69 it has done so much work that the trigger blade has most of the grooves worn off it! Never the less, it fails to malfunction, has never let me down and is very accurate when i do my bit. I absolutely love it, the only thing i done was make a better barrel weight for it, now it sits great in my hand! It will shoot well under an inch at 25m with CCI Standard ammo. Is this the norm for accuracy for the 69 or should it do better??
Any thoughts???
Thanks in advance!!
Mass Shooter

Post by Mass Shooter »

adds033, good to hear your doing well with your DES/69 and with the custom weight sounds like you have it dialed in nicely.

I have a Ultradot Matchdot mounted on mine and it is deadly accurate with CCI SV, CCI Greendot, Wolf MT which are my B/E favorites for gallery match competition.

I was practicing with mine recently at our indoor 50' range and posted a B2 Slow Fire target, shot 10 rounds and rolled it back. ... voila a 98! My best score for a S.F. ... It can do its part with the best of them and never worry for a mechanical related alibi. The UNIQUE is truly amazing in design and robust in every detail.

Sure wish original parts were easily obtained. I'd like to own a few more des/69 magazines for the pistol box arsenal.

I'm glad this thread is alive and well with all the terrific posts. More UNIQUE owners than I imagined and still lots of interest.

Keep em coming.
adds033

Trigger Blade DES69

Post by adds033 »

Mass Shooter wrote:adds033, good to hear your doing well with your DES/69 and with the custom weight sounds like you have it dialed in nicely.

I have a Ultradot Matchdot mounted on mine and it is deadly accurate with CCI SV, CCI Greendot, Wolf MT which are my B/E favorites for gallery match competition.

I was practicing with mine recently at our indoor 50' range and posted a B2 Slow Fire target, shot 10 rounds and rolled it back. ... voila a 98! My best score for a S.F. ... It can do its part with the best of them and never worry for a mechanical related alibi. The UNIQUE is truly amazing in design and robust in every detail.

Sure wish original parts were easily obtained. I'd like to own a few more des/69 magazines for the pistol box arsenal.

I'm glad this thread is alive and well with all the terrific posts. More UNIQUE owners than I imagined and still lots of interest.

Keep em coming.
Thanks Mass Shooter!
Do you know where i can get a good trigger blade? Mine hes all the grip grooves worn off it! It would be nice if i could get a better one.
Mass Shooter

Re: Trigger Blade DES69

Post by Mass Shooter »

adds033 wrote:
Mass Shooter wrote:adds033, good to hear your doing well with your DES/69 and with the custom weight sounds like you have it dialed in nicely.

Keep em coming.
Thanks Mass Shooter!
Do you know where i can get a good trigger blade? Mine hes all the grip grooves worn off it! It would be nice if i could get a better one.
Adds, I would contact Larry's Guns in Gray Maine (you can google them) and speak with Deanna or Larry Carter himself. He may have a few parts kicking around. ... Best of luck
cprher

DES/VO and VO79

Post by cprher »

I just bought a used Unique DES/VO Rapid Fire pistol originally sold in 1978 as a mate to the VO79 I bought a few months ago. They both came with the extra mag and the original case and are in really nice shape. There is one thing odd however; on the DES/VO the barrel has 8 vent holes, not the usual 4. The 4 nearest the chamber are similar in size to the holes on my VO79. The forward 2 are not tapped and the back 2 are tapped and plugged with slotted screws. But there are 4 more vent holes in front, none of them tapped and significantly smaller in diameter than the rear 4. There size is no bigger than and possibly not as big as a number 6 screw. They've been drilled so precisely that they look factory. The only thing that makes sense to me is because the barrel is about 6" long the extra vents are necessary to bleed off excess pressure. What do you guys think? Here are some pictures.

Here is my VO79

Keith
Mass Shooter

UNIQUE

Post by Mass Shooter »

cprher, it sure is a beauty. I noticed that one myself at the auction site and became intrigued.
I see it's a bottom magazine feed similar to the DES/69

Do you know of its origin or any deeper history of your DES/VO

There is another .22 short model variation which is the DES/823-U and I think is a top-loader type system. Not much information available on it when trying to research it deeper.

Do you shoot much .22 short? ... What have you tried for ammo selection that is performance consistant?

Thanks for sharing the photos, it as pristine as it gets ... Congratulations!
cprher

Post by cprher »

Mass Shooter,
I've never shot a 22 Short, but have shot bullseye, both conventional and international, for many years. I've always been intrigued by the UIT Rapid Fire pistol in its many forms, but for some reason Unique in particular. I used to own a DES32U but Don Nygord talked me out trying to use it for conventional pistol. He was right but I've always regretted selling that gun. When I started to expand my shooting a few years ago I decided playing with RF might be fun. I was very lucky to find these two guns, and hope that in the future a DES 2000 and 823 come my way.

I'm just learning about the history, but I suspect that the DES/VO was Unique's first serious attempt at a RF pistol. The frame is virtually identical to the DES-69, developed in 1969, and this gun, also called the VO70, only a year later. The similarities between the DES-69 and the DES/VO are striking and indicate to me a lot of compromises to get a viable product out the door. The VO79 is apparently the next model in the product development line which tells me their first attempt while not perfect, was good enough to be viable for almost a decade. The fit, finish, and overall quality of the DES/VO is superb, and the VO79 not far behind.

I've done a lot of research on the ammo issue and even found 900 rounds of RWS R25, but the technicians at CCI recommend for everyday shooting there 22 Match Short (product code 0037). It pretty much duplicates Eley 22 Short Match in velocity (~830-850fps with a 29 gn bullet), much faster than the RWS which is in the mid-500s with the same weight bullet. The CCI standard velocity 22 Short (product code 0026) has a nominal velocity of 710fps, just about splitting the difference. I'm hoping to get good performance from that since of all the ammo mentioned it is the only one readily available. I'll let you know how it works out.
Keith
Mass Shooter

Post by Mass Shooter »

Good info. I would think shooting the .22short will be a lot of fun especially with a truly remarkable target pistol. I often see more offerings of .22 short, ... thing is the darn ammo sells at the same price as the LR. Oh well, .... supply & demand I suppose.

I may have to make room for a short version in the future.

I shoot the daylights out with my DES/69 .22LR that pistol is indestructable!

Yes indeed, please follow up with your reports as you get aquainted with the DES/VO. I bet it will really surprise you with accuracy.
FredB

.22 Short

Post by FredB »

cprher wrote: I've done a lot of research on the ammo issue and even found 900 rounds of RWS R25, but the technicians at CCI recommend for everyday shooting there 22 Match Short (product code 0037). It pretty much duplicates Eley 22 Short Match in velocity (~830-850fps with a 29 gn bullet), much faster than the RWS which is in the mid-500s with the same weight bullet. The CCI standard velocity 22 Short (product code 0026) has a nominal velocity of 710fps, just about splitting the difference. I'm hoping to get good performance from that since of all the ammo mentioned it is the only one readily available. I'll let you know how it works out.
Keith
Keith,

I'm sorry to tell you, but I believe you will not find the research you've done very helpful. Comparing nominal muzzle velocities from different manufacturers is so misleading as to be useless. Here's what I can tell you of my own experience in my Walther OSP using the various ammos you mention.

RWS R25: perfect function, good feel.
Eley Short (older batches): constant problems, totally unusable, apparently not enough energy to cycle the gun properly.
CCI 0037 ("Target Short"): perfect function, somewhat harsh feel.
CCI 0026 ("CB Short" not "standard velocity"): spotty function, most rounds OK, but occasional weak rounds. Poor consistency.

My practical experience would rank their available energy, from lowest to highest as follows: CCI 0026, Eley Short, RWS R25, CCI 0037. No correspondence with the nominal muzzle velocities. Your mileage may vary.

FredB
cprher

Post by cprher »

Fred B, Your input is extraordinarily helpful. Is there a chance the CCI Target Short will batter the slide, which on the Unique are made of aluminum?
Keith
FredB

Post by FredB »

cprher wrote:Fred B, Your input is extraordinarily helpful. Is there a chance the CCI Target Short will batter the slide, which on the Unique are made of aluminum?
Keith
Keith,

Remember, I described my experience with my one gun and the several batches of ammo that I had. Your gun and ammo batches are different. I have a buffer in my OSP to protect the slide and improve function (I bought it used and it already had the buffer installed). On your gun, I would assume that the tapped and plugged vent holes are meant to adjust function for stronger grades of ammo. You could try the 0026 and see if it's as inconsistent for you as it was for me. If so, you could use the 0037 and unplug one or both vents.

HTH,
FredB
Mass Shooter

Re: .22 Short

Post by Mass Shooter »

FredB wrote:
cprher wrote: I've done a lot of research on the ammo issue and even found 900 rounds of RWS R25, but the technicians at CCI recommend for everyday shooting there 22 Match Short (product code 0037). It pretty much duplicates Eley 22 Short Match in velocity (~830-850fps with a 29 gn bullet), much faster than the RWS which is in the mid-500s with the same weight bullet. The CCI standard velocity 22 Short (product code 0026) has a nominal velocity of 710fps, just about splitting the difference. I'm hoping to get good performance from that since of all the ammo mentioned it is the only one readily available. I'll let you know how it works out.
Keith
Keith,

I'm sorry to tell you, but I believe you will not find the research you've done very helpful. Comparing nominal muzzle velocities from different manufacturers is so misleading as to be useless. Here's what I can tell you of my own experience in my Walther OSP using the various ammos you mention.

RWS R25: perfect function, good feel.
Eley Short (older batches): constant problems, totally unusable, apparently not enough energy to cycle the gun properly.
CCI 0037 ("Target Short"): perfect function, somewhat harsh feel.
CCI 0026 ("CB Short" not "standard velocity"): spotty function, most rounds OK, but occasional weak rounds. Poor consistency.

My practical experience would rank their available energy, from lowest to highest as follows: CCI 0026, Eley Short, RWS R25, CCI 0037. No correspondence with the nominal muzzle velocities. Your mileage may vary.

FredB
Fred, have you ever tried CCI Mini Group Target Short 22?

Older style w/ green label 100 rnd. package?
Bill Treanor

A neat Unique for sale on Gunbroker...

Post by Bill Treanor »

Not mine for sale (I already have one and it shoots like a gem!). Thought my fellow Unique fans would like to know!

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =211544962
FredB

Re: .22 Short

Post by FredB »

Mass Shooter wrote:
Fred, have you ever tried CCI Mini Group Target Short 22?

Older style w/ green label 100 rnd. package?
I've never tried a CCI .22 Short labeled as you describe. But CCI has relabeled/renamed several of its offerings over the years. For example, CCI Std. Velocity - 0032 - was also called Mini Group at one point. The package numbers, however, do stay consistent. I'll bet the number on your Short Mini Group is 0037, same as on the current Target Short.

FredB
red930turbo

Hard to find target 22 short ammo

Post by red930turbo »

I can't find CCI target short (0037) anywhere. CCI itself was no help. RWS-25 is discontinued, but Brunos Shooters Supply had some boxes left. Almost gone. It's becoming an obsolete cartridge (22 Short Target/Match). Every manufacturer seems to be discontinuing it.

Plenty of HV and HP stuff around. CCI CB short may be the closest substitute.
Mass Shooter

Re: Hard to find target 22 short ammo

Post by Mass Shooter »

red930turbo wrote:I can't find CCI target short (0037) anywhere. CCI itself was no help. RWS-25 is discontinued, but Brunos Shooters Supply had some boxes left. Almost gone. It's becoming an obsolete cartridge (22 Short Target/Match). Every manufacturer seems to be discontinuing it.

Plenty of HV and HP stuff around. CCI CB short may be the closest substitute.
Try these sources: http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/product ... s_id=75595

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/de ... ber=346111

http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm?co ... &src=tpCtg
red930turbo

Post by red930turbo »

I tried all those and about 20 more. Many list CCI 0037 - 22 Short Target, but none have it in stock. It's been that way for 6 months or more. All other flavors are available.
Mass Shooter

Post by Mass Shooter »

red930turbo wrote:I tried all those and about 20 more. Many list CCI 0037 - 22 Short Target, but none have it in stock. It's been that way for 6 months or more. All other flavors are available.
Try this one:
http://www.thegunsource.com/item/33876_ ... ARGET.aspx

Says in stock ....
red930turbo

Post by red930turbo »

CCI 0037 Target Short box of 100:
$9.39 Midway
$8.00 Natchez
$8.93 Able
$34.99 TheGunSource !! I don't think I'll be buying any from these guys.
Mass Shooter

Post by Mass Shooter »

red930turbo wrote:CCI 0037 Target Short box of 100:
$9.39 Midway
$8.00 Natchez
$8.93 Able
$34.99 TheGunSource !! I don't think I'll be buying any from these guys.
1st clue is the website price is incorrect. I contacted them for confirmation and was quoted $53.99/500 ... I spoke with Steve.

I know it's still more expensive than the others but just wanted to relay this information just in case you or someone else is folliowing this thread may need some without waiting for others backorders.
I have plenty on hand so I'm good for a while.