Improve your Quality of Competitive Performance...

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Russ wrote:But missing whole picture not taking, my attention makes him practicing with other problems...
I have to see him on shooting range what he doing wrong
.... Because my knowledge not only from books....
At last, something we agree on.

That does not mean however that we have the right to criticize people who try to offer "remote coaching". Up to a certain level it may very well help some people, who possibly have no real ambition to be Olympic Champion, to improve their shooting. It can certainly promote a healthy discussion which stimulates the shooter to examine what they are doing.

The system I use is quite simple. If I feel that I can offer some useful advice then I will. If I feel that I could not help without seeing the shooter in action (which is quite often) then I will keep quiet.

Just sitting back and implying that everything is wrong but can be cured by paying for your coaching services is, to say the least, self-opinionated.
At worst it is distorting the truth for commercial gain.
Russ

Post by Russ »

@
Last edited by Russ on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Russ wrote:Instead I feel not welcome from who hardly making AP 570 looks and sounds smart and making judgments... on FREE???? Forum!!!!

I will ask again, are you saying that you cannot learn from someone who doesn't shoot better than you.

You do not have to be a good shooter to be a good coach. You need to know how to get other people to do it rather than being able to do it yourself.

It also follows that a good shooter will not always be a good coach. He may (or indeed may not) know how he shot well but not necessarily how to make others shoot well.
Russ

Post by Russ »

@
Last edited by Russ on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Russ

Post by Russ »

@
Last edited by Russ on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackh

Re: Releasing the shot and Follow through.

Post by jackh »

Ernie Rodriguez wrote:Ted Bell-I will share whatever knowledge I have learned from Russ with this forum.Concerning his advice on follow through-basically he feels that a follow through should be held for 3-5 seconds after shot release for 2 reasons.First it developes the habit of not dropping the arm too quickly after the letoff,and most importantly it further developes the ability to hold the gun in the quiet zone for longer periods of time.Not a major secret,but a worthwhile goal.This next portion of advice is not new either,but I have found it works for me and had a great effect on my shot ability and Russ seemed to agree with the method also.When you first raise your arm to shoot,and the sights are begining to align,TWO functions only should be brought into play.At one level,your eyes begin the process of aligning the sights and settling into a somewhat stable quiet zone -and hopefully the shot will go off in this zone.The SECOND level is as follows and starts concurrently with the first.For lack of a better expression-this might be a subconscious level and it MUST be seperate and distinct from the first level.It is AS FOLLOWS-a distinct CONTINUAL,STEADY pressure on the trigger until letoff-with a KEY expression in you brain to KEEP GOING with that pressure until the shot goes off and No hesitation at all.These two levels can be accomplished and it will produce a surprise shot that will be released within your stable zone and MORE often than not,will be a decent shot.To sumarize this second level-if you can keep this function seperate,subconscious,steady and smooth on the trigger,until letoff(regardless of sight alighment)you will see a pleasant surprise in most of your shots.Russ didn't come up with this method,nor did I -but in the area of releasing the shot,it CAN be achieved and it had a HUGE effect on most of my shots,as well as score.Well Ted,I hope this info helps in your ability to shoot better.Regards-Ernie.

I kind of understand the statement of "levels" above. On the very rare occasions my head is screwed on right, my awareness of sight alignment and triggering are simultaneous and separate. In fact there is a third level of waiting for the surprise break. Sights, aligned, trigger pressure, wanting a surprise break, all aware, but not thinking directly on them.
Russ

Post by Russ »

@
Last edited by Russ on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jackh

Post by jackh »

Russ wrote:I'm waiting for peaceful and smart decision....
Russ
Decision on what, may I ask?
Russ

Post by Russ »

@
Russ

Post by Russ »

@
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Russ wrote:"My offer" has to be on same level as option "to by things", to help each athlete who Think to save 5-10 years in development
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against commercial coaches. There are some very good ones worldwide, many of whom are employed by national federations to coach their athletes.

What I object to is people who "rubbish" the unpaid efforts of others in an effort to convince prospective customers to part with their money.
Russ wrote:How about his judgments about me? If he not able recognize real things how he will be useful to make quick fixes????? It is pointless
It would be difficult to recognise any coaching quality from your postings here. Your web site can also be discounted as there is no evidence that it is anything other than advertising hype. On that subject can I respectfully suggest that your section describing the Olympic pistol events does need correcting and updating.

I notice that you have now failed to answer twice so I will ask yet again, are you saying that you cannot learn from someone who doesn't shoot better than you.
Russ

Post by Russ »

@
Last edited by Russ on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Russ

Post by Russ »

@
Last edited by Russ on Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Russ wrote:"I will ask yet again, are you saying that you cannot learn from someone
who doesn't shoot better than you."

David, do not try to catch me on so simple questions, will you? ;)
It can be 90/10% (where is 10% only came from good shooters)...
I think you are saying that only 10% of shooters can get benefit from coaches who do not shoot as well as them. If my interpretation of your answer is correct then I cannot think of a polite way of suitably expressing my total disagreement.

If on the other hand you are saying that only 10% of good coaches were good shooters then, although I would probably be close to agreeing with you, it contradicts your earlier postings.

Sorry if this raises further confusion but once again, whilst your command of my native language is vastly superior to my command of yours, your postings can be somewhat unclear.
Russ

Post by Russ »

@
Last edited by Russ on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Russ wrote:In my experience only 10% successful caches came from good shooters.
So why shouldn't a "mere" 570 (or less) shooter be capable of giving top class coaching advice and assistance to other shooters.
Russ

Post by Russ »

@
Last edited by Russ on Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

I think this thread is going nowhere fast.

"who's on first?"

Post by Guest »

That foreigners and especially it seems (from first hand experiences) the former soviet citizens have a different grasp of the english language, is painfully obvious here. Maybe people are reading overtones into comments far too much. Maybe Ruslan really has far less of a grasp of the nuances of english than what he tries to portray.
How about everyone going back to square one, ignoring trolls, and start from scratch with useful questions and comments from shooting enthusiasts. Remember that most of us are sitting on the sidelines and want to learn from all experiences! But sometimes it has to be spelled out very obviously for us to get the intended correct message!
Ted Bell

Re: Releasing the shot and Follow through.

Post by Ted Bell »

Ernie (and Russ, indirectly)-
Thanks for sharing that info. The topic of follow through does come up now and again on this forum, and even it's the same info in substance, but stated a little differently than what was said in another post, it's beneficial- hearing it phrased a different way might very well be what makes the concept "click" for someone (such as myself.) That's why I value reading this forum- even though at times its the same tips/advice being put forth by several different folks, someone else's way of phrasing it might make be go "Ah, now I understand." I don't doubt Russ has a lot of experience and knowledge, and I realize that seeking assistance on this forum is a less than perfect way of trying to improve one's shooting, but sometimes that's all we have available- I truly do hope Russ offers up a tip or advice every once in a while that might help me, or anyone for that matter.

Thanks,
Ted