How many adult shooters do we have out there

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Quinn

Post by Quinn »

57 years here. Back shooting for five years now. Helped keep my sanity after my wife passed away. I do a bit of competition, Metallic Silhouette once a month and some informal 5 and 6 meter AP here at the house with folks I have met at the range. The infamous Friday 5's as they have become known. Pot luck dinner and Target AP down the "Hallway of Doom". Ages range from 30 to 60ish. Anywhere from 3 to 8 attending. On occasion we have a teen or 20 year old join us. While not a sanctioned event, it can become very competitive at times. Mostly it is just a good fun night of shooting and conversation.

I shoot AP/AR almost every day in the hallway. Usually 50 - 100 rounds at a time. I find it a good way to unwind. Much better than happy hour at some bar. I usually go to the local indoor pistol indoor range for .22 and .45 once or twice a week. I always have my IZH 46M AP when I go. You would not believe the number of folks that come up and ask me about WTF am I shooting when I pull it out. I have had a few come up and ask me to show their friend the "RayGun". Most are shooting 9 mm or larger and burning through 50 rounds in less than an hour at 7 meters with dinner plate sized groups. Now there are a some that really can shoot tight groups with a 45 but not that many. And there I am shooting at 12.5 meters (the longest distance at the indoor range) with under 1 inch groups. I can do a bit better than that on a good day but having the hand canons going off 3 feet away in the next lane... well it does affect my shooting. I will swear that a 44 magnum report in the next lane can move you. God how I enjoy coming into the range and having the place to myself for awhile. It's so quiet and calm.