How many of you use shooting glasses? And do they help you?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Post by Guest »

for shooting glasses you need prescription power plus .25 or .50 usually. you need to pull in the focal length.

it does help quite a lot. after using shooting glasses there is less strain on my eyes after shooting.
JulianY

Post by JulianY »

James wrote:I went to the eye doctor today.
I got a perscription for my far vision, but when I told them about lenses for my shooting glasses I was told:
My near and intermediate vision was perfect. So I dont need any corrective lenses for shooting other then my everyday glasses.

I dont think the eye doctor understood the purpose of shooting glasses. Or maybe I dont.

They are used to restrict focus on the front sight right?

So shooting lenses for me would have the distance correction, and an additional diopter?
Like +0.25 and -4.00?
forgeting shooting, what was the pescription ( both eyes ) for normal glasses ?
James

Post by James »

I think -4.00 and -4.00
2650 Plus

Shooting glasses

Post by 2650 Plus »

Remember the reference to the camera shots earlier in the post? Put any color lense in front of the camera lens and you must open up the lens or slow down the shutter speed to allow more light to strike the film. In spite of the gold lens appearing brighter less light gets to the shooting eye causing increased pupil size and shorter field of view. Are you sure this is an advantage? Good Shooting Bill Horton
PaulT

Post by PaulT »

Bill – spot-on!

Yes, less light to work with buy the “gold” filter for some improves contrast; this is a personal thing and best experimented on during training with varying conditions and notes made in shooting diary.

The training testing equally applies to the amethyst filters. The process you describe provides opportunity for a better contrast that is a personal preference.

Some people are more sensitive to light, for example, myopia will increase the discomfort and other conditions often associated with myopia make things worse, so testing is essential.

Different percentage levels of filter are good to experiment with. If you are shooting on a tight budget, opticians can prepare these filters in your preferred colours. I tried several other shooters before making my selections. I am reminded in my notes that percentages of gray are the optically correct stop-downs for filters, however, I am many others prefer amethyst as these help with certain light conditions and the contrast is nicer to shoot with.

Hope this helps.

Paul
Lanning R. Hochhauser

Post by Lanning R. Hochhauser »

I use them. They are a great help. I need a different perscription to see the front sight clearly. The shooting frames allow you to put the optical center of the lens perpendicular to and in the center of your line of sight to the front sight.
Lanning
David M

Reason for defocus

Post by David M »

James wrote:I went to the eye doctor today.
I got a perscription for my far vision, but when I told them about lenses for my shooting glasses I was told:
My near and intermediate vision was perfect. So I dont need any corrective lenses for shooting other then my everyday glasses.

I dont think the eye doctor understood the purpose of shooting glasses. Or maybe I dont.

They are used to restrict focus on the front sight right?

So shooting lenses for me would have the distance correction, and an additional diopter?
Like +0.25 and -4.00?
Hi James
The answer to your eye doctor is :-
By adding a defocus to your distance script of between 0.5 d and 0.75 d, you bring the focal length in to about 1metre in front of the foresight.
The target will have a slight blurr or halo around it.
When you put a pistol in your line of sight your eye will retract its focus to the foresight, which will be clear, and the rear sight will be very slightly blurred.
From the relaxed eye muscle position (distance), the focus to the foresight will now have a lot less tension with a lens than without.
Therefore less eye fatigue, easier to hold a sustained concentration on the foresight.
You need to try both powers as I find I use a different one of air (0.5) with 0.75 for Free. I also use tints in lens for different light conditions, yellow for low light, grey for glare, blue for fluorescent light (air indoors) and clear.
Your optician should be able to calculate the right lens power.
2650 Plus

shooting glasses

Post by 2650 Plus »

Back to your orriginal post. Yes I use shooting glasses. [champions] Even if I needed no correction I would wear shooting glasses any time I was on a range. Its just a personal concern I have about safety. Good safe shooting Bill Horton