OLYMPIC GAMES TOKYO, JAPAN 24 JUL – 3 AUG 2021 - shooting schedule

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
emre-nur

Re: OLYMPIC GAMES TOKYO, JAPAN 24 JUL – 3 AUG 2021 - shooting schedule

Post by emre-nur »

I dont have a tv and there is nothing available over the internet.

great media management...
Last edited by emre-nur on Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

emre-nur wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:34 am I dot have a tv and there is nothing available over the internet.
I'm sure if you really wanted to you could find some coverage.

You might need a VPN and a subscription, but that's fair enough as the broadcasters have to pay a lot for the broadcast rights.

As a starting point, https://gtimg.tokyo2020.org/image/uploa ... bp82dp.pdf
nmondal

Gaps between 1 & 2 - Manu's Morini circuit malfunction

Post by nmondal »

For men, the gap between 1 & 2 is so large that a jet plane can go through it.
6.9 points.
I do not think this sort of "gap" happened in earlier Olympic[s].
That is owing to people shooting 8s, and high 8s.
And that probably thanks to Covid.

Now what is worse is this:
https://sports.ndtv.com/olympics-2020/t ... ot-2494357
Lot of folks talked about Electronic Trigger going bonkers.
And now we have one. Going wrong right at where it almost mattered most.
Owing to the technical snag during the second series, Manu lost more than five minutes, enough to disturb one's rhythm in the precision sport, after making an impressive start in her maiden Olympic appearance. Her father Ramkishan Bhaker, as well as a National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) official, said that the electronic trigger of Manu's pistol had "suffered a circuit malfunction" in the middle of the second series of the qualification.
Morini 162 Titanium EI.
https://www.morini.ch/products/cm-162ei-titanium/

While we are at it, would it ... impact Morini's reputation?
Last edited by nmondal on Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
10 M Air pistol : Walther LP 500 Basic | Earlier Hammerli AP 20 Pro.
Newbie shooting questions : http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63530
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

David Levene wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:23 am
emre-nur wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:34 am I dot have a tv and there is nothing available over the internet.
I'm sure if you really wanted to you could find some coverage.
let me think about, why I do not "really" want...
:)
uhfradarwill

Post by uhfradarwill »

Where is rover? Isn't he God's gift to air shooting sports? Why isn't he competing???
masaki

Re: Gaps between 1 & 2 - Manu's Morini circuit malfunction

Post by masaki »

nmondal wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:36 am For men, the gap between 1 & 2 is so large that a jet plane can go through it.
6.9 points.

Owing to the technical snag during the second series, Manu lost more than five minutes, enough to disturb one's rhythm in the precision sport, after making an impressive start in her maiden Olympic appearance. Her father Ramkishan Bhaker, as well as a National Rifle Association of India (NRAI) official, said that the electronic trigger of Manu's pistol had "suffered a circuit malfunction" in the middle of the second series of the qualification.
Morini 162 Titanium EI.

I have no further info about the malfunction on the electronic trigger occurred on her particular piece than mentioned by the news media, but one thing came across in my mind is that Japan had been in a wet season until a few days before the Tokyo 2020 Olympic started. I am afraid the Indian team or she had not taken enough care on her piece against the high humidity after they arrived at Tokyo.

Masaki
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

masaki wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:32 am
nmondal wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:36 am For men, the gap between 1 & 2 is so large that a jet plane can go through it.
6.9 points.

Morini 162 Titanium EI.

I have no further info about the malfunction on the electronic trigger occurred on her particular piece than mentioned by the news media, but one thing came across in my mind is that Japan had been in a wet season until a few days before the Tokyo 2020 Olympic started. I am afraid the Indian team or she had not taken enough care on her piece against the high humidity after they arrived at Tokyo.

Masaki
so it is because of humidity?

what should have they done to avoid this?
spektr

Post by spektr »

There's a reason I don't own 1 electronic trigger. I understand the mechanical ones and they do so much more than I need them to...
They may very well be milliseconds faster in lock time, but thats beyond my ability to exploit. Im not sure mere mortals can exploit the difference either. Olympians maybe, but I haven't seen hard data to show the performance gain. When my PGP 75 failed after years of use, I whittled the replacement part out of A2. Easy Peasy. I cant whittle out encapsulated circuit boards, some can and good on ya, but sheesh, I need to keep life simple......
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

uhfradarwill wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:25 am Where is rover?
He went to get more beer . . . .
uhfradarwill

Post by uhfradarwill »

LoL
BTW I was born and raised a little West of you in Cowan, TN.
Will
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

spektr wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:06 am There's a reason I don't own 1 electronic trigger. I understand the mechanical ones and they do so much more than I need them to...
They may very well be milliseconds faster in lock time, but thats beyond my ability to exploit. Im not sure mere mortals can exploit the difference either. Olympians maybe, but I haven't seen hard data to show the performance gain. When my PGP 75 failed after years of use, I whittled the replacement part out of A2. Easy Peasy. I cant whittle out encapsulated circuit boards, some can and good on ya, but sheesh, I need to keep life simple......
The only electronic triggers I will use are Morinis. They've been at it longer than anyone else, and failures are exceptionally rare if they are cared for properly. I've got both an air and a free pistol that have never given me a problem related to the circuitry. My free pistol has gotten fussy with age due to sear wear, and the battery came loose once because I didn't install it securely. My air pistol has never had a problem. Both pistols are older than some top competitors...

Hammerli, Walther and Pardini have had problems with their electronic trigger designs in the past. They abandoned those pistols, leaving owners in the lurch.

The biggest problem I've seen with a Morini trigger was on a free pistol that someone had "cleaned" by hosing it down with some sort of oil/solvent. It had gotten into the electronics, and it would only fired occasionally. I sprayed down the circuitry with electronics cleaner, and that got it functioning well enough for the shooter to finish the match.

I also won't use rechargeable batteries. Morinis are good for thousands of shots with easily replaced batteries. Why add an unreliable technology when it's not needed?

Stuff does break, whether mechanical or electronic. I'm sorry (and surprised) that a Morini trigger failed at such a key moment, but my first suspicion is improper care, not a design/manufacturing defect.
McMadCow

Post by McMadCow »

Gwhite wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:50 pm I also won't use rechargeable batteries. Morinis are good for thousands of shots with easily replaced batteries. Why add an unreliable technology when it's not needed?
What's so unreliable about Lithium Polymer batteries? They're used in everything from phones to cars, and if the charging circuit maintains temperature in the cells, they're good for hundreds of charges with little to no memory. Failing that, the LiPo battery in my LP500 can be replaced for like, $5 on Amazon.

Also, I guess it's a good idea to spray the circuit board with some conformal coating.
atomicgale

Post by atomicgale »

McMadCow wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:50 pm I guess it's a good idea to spray the circuit board with some conformal coating.
WTF is "conformal coating?"

Back to topic, has anyone figured out how to get olympics video, without paying the video-commies for the privilege?
Last edited by atomicgale on Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
McMadCow

Post by McMadCow »

In case Google is down, conformal coating is a waterproofing spray for electronics.
atomicgale

Post by atomicgale »

McMadCow wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:22 pm In case Google is down . . . .
Why would we need Google, when we have TargetTalk?

"Waterproof coating?" Why not just slap a couple new Duracell AAA's in the Morini 162EI each year & be done with it.

Back to topic: Olympics! Why is "Tokyo 2020" such a g.d. disaster? The peckerwoods in Men's AP final shot like shit - ONE score above 100 after first ten shots? Seriously? Bunch of low-9's after that?

Sending Godzilla in to stomp on this whole mess . . . .

emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

nmondal wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 8:36 am

Some leaks about what happened to Manu.

It seems like a lever problem or starting as a lever problem and developing into....

https://olympics.com/en/news/shooting-d ... 47941222=1
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

So, contrary to the subject line, it had nothing to do with the circuitry.

It's still a shame, but stuff happens.
masaki

Post by masaki »

Gwhite wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:34 am So, contrary to the subject line, it had nothing to do with the circuitry.
Another possible speculation would be "She pulled the trigger, but the air was not detonated. She thought that she had not turn the lever all the way and she repeated it with more force than before ... She repeated this action several times. Eventually, she broke the lever with a large force which the gun designer did not expect."

Masaki
masaki

Post by masaki »

McMadCow wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:50 pm Also, I guess it's a good idea to spray the circuit board with some conformal coating.
The circuit board in a CM162EI I used to have twenty years ago for four years had been conformal-coated except for the power switch, connectors, an electrolytic capacitor and contacts for batteries. It is obvious that both the power switch, contacts for batteries and the connectors cannot be coated. The electrolytic capacitor is a notorious component from which electrically conductive liquid can leak from after a long time(e.g., five years or more). So this component should not be inside of the humidity barrier. Also, the battery is a component from which electrically conductive liquid can leak from. So this component should not be located inside of the humidity barrier. You had better not spraying conformal coating material over the electrolytic capacitor or the battery, otherwise the liquid leaked from these components are allowed to creep(penetrating thorough very narrow gaps on the coating) to the electronic components on the circuit board.
Locating electrolytic capacitors and batteries outside the coating is a text-book matter in electronics circuit design. By this design, the liquids can be evaporated freely into the air(as long as the relative humidity inside the grip is less than 100%.)

Masaki
masaki

Post by masaki »

emre-nur wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:52 am so it is because of humidity?
what should have they done to avoid this?
I do not have enough info at this moment. I cannot say that the humidity is the cause of the problem.
Morini's circuit board is completely enclosed by the grip. This environment for the circuit board is quite brutal in high-humid countries or by sweaty athletes. In these high-humid environment, the circuit board have to be inspected more frequently whether or not it is wet with any liquid(leaked mostly from electrolytic capacitor or batteries) by the owners eyes. The liquid may penetrate into small gaps or spaces and reaches other electronic components on the circuit board making the problem. Whenever you see any liquid on the circuit board wipe it off with cotton swab and then dry the circuit board and the grip with dry air.

Masaki