Using Club pellets?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
B Lafferty

Re: Using Club pellets?

Post by B Lafferty »

I've been using H&N Sport which are priced a 500/$7.99. In appearance they look about as well finished as the RWS Basics that I used until they started packaging in tins of only 300. I haven't done a bench test, but would be curious to see the results if anyone has done such a test with them.

Also, by purchasing them through Pyramid Air they are further discounted--four tins for the price of three. Shipping is also reasonable compared with other suppliers such as Champions Choice with their own branded pellets made for them by H&N.
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
rmca

Post by rmca »

The answers to ALL your questions about pellets are in this tread... again! ;)

http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4 ... ting+again

RWS Club group poorly. Get the green ones (Basic)
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

rmca wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:22 am The answers to ALL your questions about pellets are in this tread... again! ;)

http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4 ... ting+again

RWS Club group poorly. Get the green ones (Basic)
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I was looking for a photo of a Sport grouping. I found one post there that discussed H&N Sport in relation to RWS Basic stating that the Sports produced a slightly better grouping. I did not find a photo, unless I missed it or a link. I did see photos of H&N Excite groupings.......
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

RWS Basic pellets have worked very well for me for quite a few years. The college team I help coach goes through about 60K of them a year. HOWEVER, they are still soft lead, bulk packed in a metal cans that get drop kicked across the Atlantic. It's one major reason I won't buy the 300 pellet cans. The extra space allows the pellets to bang around & get damaged a lot more easily.

I just opened a new can of Basics earlier this week. I always use one of the plastic spring operated pellet boxes that you load with 100 pellets. One of the advantages is that it's pretty easy to examine the pellets for damaged skirts, although usually, I don't have to bother. The 1st 100 rounds I shot were fine. I loaded it today with another 100, from deeper in the can. I'm shooting a Steyr LP50, and if the pellets are deformed very much, the magazine won't load smoothly, which how I found the first bad one. I looked more closely, and found 4 more:
Deformed RWS Basics.jpg
The middle one is probably OK, but the rest look pretty suspect and probably won't load smoothly in the LP50. I examined the can, and sure enough, there was a dent in the side, about 1 mm deep:
RWS Basic Can Dent.jpg
Even if you pay 3 times as much for 500 pellets tins, you will always be at the mercy of shipping damage like this. Individually packed pellets are REALLY expensive, but if you are going to shoot in an important match with bulk pellets from a can, I'd do two things:

1) Use pellets from a can with no visible dents
2) Use one of the plastic pellet boxes, and take a good close look the skirts for signs of damage.
brent375hh

Post by brent375hh »

I bought 50 tins of 500 of R10 from Neal Stepp for $10.58 each. I have yet to find any that I wouldn't shoot in a match. If the skirts look lopsided, it's the lighting.
Attachments
IMG_20210807_193136098.jpg
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

This was the first time I've run into damage like this with Basics. I buy them in the 10 can sleeves, which is more subject to shipping damage getting from Texas to Massachusetts that the cases we buy for the team.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

You don’t have to discard those pellets. When they are in the magazine, use a little force with the tip of a Bic pen, it will open the skirts of damaged pellets.
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

kevinweiho wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:00 pm You don’t have to discard those pellets.
Throw them in the garbage. They're 1 1/2-cents each. Why force a damaged metal object into a $2k precision machine?
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

atomicgale wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:58 pm
kevinweiho wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:00 pm You don’t have to discard those pellets.
Throw them in the garbage. They're 1 1/2-cents each. Why force a damaged metal object into a $2k precision machine?
Would you bend over to pick up a penny on the street?...

If I were to throw away defective pellets from the first day I began shooting when I was a kid, it would be a considerable amount…

I will only discard the ones that are oxidized. It takes only a few seconds to remedy the problem, no biggie, why throw them away?
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

kevinweiho wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:58 pm Would you bend over to pick up a penny on the street?...
Pick up a Penny? No!
Won't even chase a blowing 5000-colone' bill down Avenida Central by the Costa Rican McDonald's near Teatro' Nacional in San Jose'.

Don't press garbage in your pistol.

Last edited by atomicgale on Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

atomicgale wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:09 pm
kevinweiho wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:58 pm Would you bend over to pick up a penny on the street?...
Pick up a Penny? Fuck no!
Won't even chase a blowing 5000-colone' bill down Avenida Central by the Costa Rican McDonald's near Teatro' Nacional in San Jose'.

Don't press garbage in your pistol.

Good for you, you’re probably born with a silver spoon in your mouth!..

Five thousand colones is the equivalent of $8 in today’s exchange rate. The 5 colones bill is no longer in circulation, they sell to them to tourists for $5.
Green_Canoe

Post by Green_Canoe »

B Lafferty wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:34 am I've been using H&N Sport which are priced a 500/$7.99. In appearance they look about as well finished as the RWS Basics that I used until they started packaging in tins of only 300. I haven't done a bench test, but would be curious to see the results if anyone has done such a test with them.

Also, by purchasing them through Pyramid Air they are further discounted--four tins for the price of three. Shipping is also reasonable compared with other suppliers such as Champions Choice with their own branded pellets made for them by H&N.
I don't have the test you are looking for but I do have my anecdotal test because I bought the H&N Sport pellets for the very reason you state. In my experience my group size didn't change, my POI didn't change, and my scores didn't go down. I've been very satisfied with them so unfortunately for RWS the Basics are not going purchased again until they are again the good deal they once were.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Green_Canoe wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:33 am
B Lafferty wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:34 am I've been using H&N Sport which are priced a 500/$7.99. In appearance they look about as well finished as the RWS Basics that I used until they started packaging in tins of only 300. I haven't done a bench test, but would be curious to see the results if anyone has done such a test with them.

I don't have the test you are looking for but I do have my anecdotal test because I bought the H&N Sport pellets for the very reason you state. In my experience my group size didn't change, my POI didn't change, and my scores didn't go down. I've been very satisfied with them so unfortunately for RWS the Basics are not going purchased again until they are again the good deal they once were.
Tks.
dontshootcritters

Post by dontshootcritters »

I agree with Atomicgal 100% re biffing the damaged pellets... the cost is not even worth the thought process..!! But if you get a crap score with a damaged pellet that surely is something to be getting inside your head..(if you are shooting for score that is) If you are just plinking around then no issue either way.
If you are getting damaged pellets I would seriously consider changing them to another brand or grade. As Atomicgal suggested also why put an expensive pistol in jeopardy of having a pellet jam..

Just my thoughts.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

The problem in my case was clearly shipping damage, not the quality of the pellets. Shipping from Europe to the USA can be a rough trip, independent of the cost of the pellets, unless you want to spend for individually packed pellets instead of tins.
dontshootcritters

Post by dontshootcritters »

How these pellets as getting damaged in transit surely must be a pain..!! I use solely RWS R10 and have never had any issue...im in New Zealand so clearly they have quite the ride to get here with NO denting or trauma. Are the tins themselves dented..?
spektr

Post by spektr »

I shoot Local Pellets. The cans have 500 in them, there is a foam ring in the can as well as a foam bottom and top piece. Im not sure how much added protection that is, but they are perfect when I get them. Vogel is in Colorado springs and I shoot their green match pellets in the pcp guns and orange practice pellets in ssp guns. Your mileage may be different but these work really well for me.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

dontshootcritters wrote: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:01 pm How these pellets as getting damaged in transit surely must be a pain..!! I use solely RWS R10 and have never had any issue...im in New Zealand so clearly they have quite the ride to get here with NO denting or trauma. Are the tins themselves dented..?
There was a visible dent in the side of the can, maybe a mm deep. I buy RWS Basics by the case the the team I help coach, and they come well packed. I don't recall having seeing any bad ones in over 200,000 pellets, but most of my students aren't terribly observant... The ones that got dented were purchased in a sleeve of 10, or possibly loose tins. It could easily have been damaged in shipping in the US, although the guy I buy from is usually very careful to pack stuff well.
dschaller

Post by dschaller »

Seat those soft lead pellets into a round barrel and they will become a lot rounder. Hit them with 800+ psi of air pressure and they will likely conform to the barrel just like "perfect" ones. Test those next time you clamp the gun in a vice and you will be surprised how little difference it makes on a pistol target. On the other hand, if I was a rifle shooter that could shoot 600 decimal or higher, I would discard them. If you really want to see something, intentionally put a pellet in backwards when group testing. You will be very surprised how little difference in impact point that causes.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

I've lost count of the number of panicked students who've come to me after putting pellets in backwards. Except in a match, I tell them to just shoot them. They are usually amazed that they shoot quite well.