Feinwerkbau P44 review

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
therider

Re: Feinwerkbau P44 review

Post by therider »

Today I shot p44 for the first time. What a nice pistol. Great rear sight, good recoil absorber, it was really consistent and the pistol does not move...nearly as good as Pardini k12. The trigger is nice, clean, and I can confirm that diagram on that ridiculous article on Visier in 2012, 1 against 5, is reliable. Dry with no appreciable drop in weight after release. Again, nearly as good as Pardini k12, but different.
I also liked very much the grip.
Rover

Post by Rover »

"nearly as good as Pardini k12"

WTF?
therider

Post by therider »

Rover wrote:"nearly as good as Pardini k12"

WTF?
Have you tried one?
Rover

Post by Rover »

Of course not; just making waves.

But I do shoot next to Brenda Silva
97nick

Re: Feinwerkbau P44 review, sight length update

Post by 97nick »

been using the longest sight base possabl for a while, having moved the front sight and the rear sight as far out as they will go, to the maximum allowed.
I kept a very close eye on the results, and was wary of flyers, but the result has been very positive, with my scores jumping straight away. the first postal compaction was a PB of 564, and the next away comp I shot I got over the 560 in both rounds, which is as high as I have ever shot, and was my goal for the winter. (now I need a new one!)
so far I am still shooting the pistol with out the weight. it does shoot better with it on, but it is just slightly to heavy. I will look at ways of making the rod lighter or I will look for a sliding barrel weight.
spektr

Post by spektr »

Just thinking out loud, The rods are removable, and if the gun is too nose heave, try removing one.....
97nick

Post by 97nick »

yes I am shooting it with out any of the two rod weights. I have ordered some aluminium rod and I will try one of those in place of the steel rod.
97nick

Re: Feinwerkbau P44 review update

Post by 97nick »

Hi folks just an update on the P44 now I have had time to get to know it!
I have had good shooting scores with the pistol, and only one issue so far after 7 months use shooting it and dry-firing it 5/6 days a week.
I have taken a tiny bit off the high palm swell, and some wood off the right side of the grip under my little finger, but other than that I have resisted the urge to get the rasp out! The grip is really top class and by far the best I have seen from factory. I see no need to get an aftermarket grip whatsoever.
The one tank is good for two firing courses plus sighters and a shoot off. I just make sure I fill it completely and it will last. It is better to have another tank with one of course!
I have made a new trigger out of Aluminium as the supplied trigger was too small for my finger; I made it wide, flat and straight with a curve at the bottom, and it is fine to use. Development is still in its infancy though, but target test and dry fire test seem very positive. I can have it in line with the barrel and not have to cant it to fit my finger pad.
I just need to get it thoroughly checked out now to make sure it is legal!

Another thing with the gun was the weights supplied, two steel rods that were too heavy for me to use comfortably, even if I just used one.
I have made a steel barrel weight that I can slide along the barrel, however I do not recommend doing this without through testing as anything touching the barrel can affect accuracy, and FWB obviously avoided having anything on the barrel. Early testing is good though as I can adjust the weight as I would like. I may buy the FWB sliding weight which is on two rods either side of the barrel, but it looks heavy for me so I will continue with the barrel weight for now.
The one malfunction I had was with the absorber, it started to just come out of adjustment slightly.
I striped it and cleaned it, before putting it back. It was an easy job, and has worked, with this absorber being very consistent since cleaning. Again early days but I will keep an eye on it.
Please note I do not advocate taking your gun to bits!!! Send it in to the professionals!
To some up the gun is awesome and I have had no regrets at all buying it. I would make the same choice again and love shooting it. I have ordered a 5mm front sight to try and am looking forward to giving it a run on the ten meter range!
Attachments
t02.jpg
t02.jpg (87.18 KiB) Viewed 1463 times
t01.jpg
t01.jpg (82.76 KiB) Viewed 1463 times
hundert

Post by hundert »

thanks for the update. Yesterday I had the P44 in my hand for the first time, I liked the grip (was a standard FWB grip of a black model). But I didn't shoot it.

It's nice to hear updates, they're always welcome
jerber

Post by jerber »

Looking at those pictures
You must have very short fingers
My trigger is set a lot more forward
Do you have small hands?
What size grip do you have?
97nick

Post by 97nick »

jerber wrote:Looking at those pictures
You must have very short fingers
My trigger is set a lot more forward
Do you have small hands?
What size grip do you have?
Lol yes I have big hands but small fingers. It can be a problem as a medium grip will be right for my fingers but to small for my hand. I use a large grip.