Isakov and Walther LP400

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
97nick

Re: Isakov and Walther LP400

Post by 97nick »

Isakov is one of my heros.
I have short listed the LP400 carbon along with the FWB P44 as me new pistol (the wife says I can get a new one next month....)
and stop being nasty to conradin. guns are awesome things and I make it my duty to play with as many as I can :)
william

Post by william »

"...stop being nasty to conradin."

It's not nasty. It's snarky and borderline sarcastic, and it's for the young lad's own good. Surely you don't think Rover and I (and others) enjoy this, do you?
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

In response to many requests I attach some photos.
Andre

Post by Andre »

I've held all pistols Walther makes, I'll take a lp10 any day.
Europa

Post by Europa »

97nick, my LP400 carbon (M grip) is less than 900g with an empty cylinder. The FWB could be more than 100g heavier (with a medium grip). Not a big deal to many shooters, but something to consider. Also, the LP400 trigger spring experimentation appears to have been resolved. I think the grip locking bolt might be more robust now as well (compared to earlier models); Ulrich may be able to confirm these updates?

I prefer to shoot a light pistol. The carbon is lighter than most AP's, while still retaining all the necessary professional functionality.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Europa wrote:I think the grip locking bolt might be more robust now as well (compared to earlier models); Ulrich may be able to confirm these updates?
Have they done anything about the threads in the cylinders.

Seeing a cylinder launch itself halfway down range tends to put you off a gun. (I've since heard of it happening on another LP400 as well).
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Have they done anything about the threads in the cylinders.

A member of our Club purchased an LP400 carbon short 18 months ago and has had the threads strip on two cylinders during that time. He has needed to purchase replacement cylinders at his expense.
Europa

Post by Europa »

I don't expect to wear the threads on my cylinder because I'm careful when attaching/ detaching. This is more important than ensuring there's a dab of grease on the threads (cleaned and replaced regularly). After all, there are no bonus points for removing (or installing) your cylinder in world record time...
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Europa wrote:I don't expect to wear the threads on my cylinder because I'm careful when attaching/ detaching.
I get the distinct impression that it's not undue carelessness that causes the problem.

I might be wrong but it looked like a fine thread (much finer than Steyr or Morini), aluminium in the cylinder and steel on the adaptor.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

It sounds like they copied the thread designfrom the Hammerli AP40 cylinder design. It didn't work too well there either...
conradin

Post by conradin »

Rover wrote:Don't be sad; Conradin will buy one. He, like so many others on here, are convinced they can BUY points.
If it means my recent trips to LAR&R and Colorado springs USA OTC to get coached and trained by qualified coaches, and got to examine some medalists' guns, received advice, and how they shoot them.... yeah, I BOUGHT the plane tickets...it did help increase my points.
Some athletes are still using ancient equipment with no accessories (straight out of the box) and still shot 10s after 10s. If I follow what Rover implies, I should go back and look for 1990s guns...don't think so. Try as I might, I could not find a CO2 tank on neither the upstairs nor downstairs range, perhaps it is in the trophy cabinets as antique souvenir. I certainly could not find a CO2 in LAR&R...or at least bothered to ask.
Attachments
US OTC upper range. RFP set up on the right. Picture taken at "25M" line.  (Actually firing area of the 10M line on the left). Pretty cool eh?
US OTC upper range. RFP set up on the right. Picture taken at "25M" line. (Actually firing area of the 10M line on the left). Pretty cool eh?
11986334_1601511323404754_8354447937415725061_n.jpg (31.26 KiB) Viewed 2153 times
Last edited by conradin on Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Europa

Post by Europa »

You're correct David (about the steel vs aluminium). Perhaps a note of caution in the owner's manual (extra care installing/ removing) would have gone a long way in warning those who are careless? At the end of the day, it's all a trade-off. Walther sought to produce a light pistol (and cylinder), and they've achieved that. Meanwhile, those who continue to install and remove their cylinders with care are unlikely to wear threads.
conradin

Post by conradin »

Why not invent something using the hand gonne model to make an air pistol, I am sure it will be super light....I'm sure it will be retro enough that Rover will try it. One hand on the barrel, thumb on the serpentine, CO2 cylinder glued to the "barrrel" with the air tube hooked up to the barrel control by the serpentine. Just muzzle load a pellet.. No sights or grip needed. 10.9!!! "Rover brand Air Hand gonne" $199.95 kit!
Attachments
Replace wooden stick with cylinder, voila, 10.9!!
Replace wooden stick with cylinder, voila, 10.9!!
Europa

Post by Europa »

97nick, which pistol will you buy, FWB or Walther? I'm curious to know where your head's at with regard to this, because choosing a pro pistol is a big deal. I sweated for ages before buying mine (what if it's crap?). Having an emotional expectation about a purchase, followed by a delivery of the actual item are two, totally, different things. Anyone have any interesting experiences?
Rover

Post by Rover »

Yeah, Conradin wets himself over the delivery, while I am delighted by a 90's SSP.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Rover wrote:Yeah, Conradin wets himself over the delivery, while I am delighted by a 90's SSP.
If true, I'm not sure which one of you that says more about ;-)
tufty

Post by tufty »

Isakov is using that pistol for one of two reasons,he likes it,or he gets sponsorship for using it,and his will be selected from the best of the best in the factory,he didn't get it off the shelf
Rover

Post by Rover »

I KNOW you're right. The rest of us have to settle for the rejects.
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

There are five LP400's in our club and all test targets are one hole groups.....some rejects !

Apart from the fact that all LP 400's I have seen shoot like a laser, what happened to the argument that it was the shooter not the pistol that was the deciding factor ?
Europa

Post by Europa »

Vladimir Isakov is a professional shooter. Thousands of hours of training and dedication; he's entitled to all the sponsorship he receives. Of course he could shoot just as well with other pistols. No doubt the arrangement he has with Walther at the moment is agreeable for both parties. Would Walther sell as many pistols without him? Possibly, because it's a quality product. As the first poster suggested (LP400's haven't exactly been sweeping the competition finals), I wouldn't be surprised if more LP400's are being sold than any other pro AP (despite the price tag).