Cheaper pellets misfiring in match guns?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Gerard

Re: Cheaper pellets misfiring in match guns?

Post by Gerard »

Beeman may have, but lots of companies make and sell pellet pushers. Sometimes they have integrated a tube so you can fill that with pellets for loading. Seems unreasonably fussy, but some prefer that. Some airgun store or other sent me an aluminum pellet pusher on a lanyard this past winter, just threw it in with my pellet order. Can't recall who it was, but they'd put their name on the side. Nicely made thing. Gave it to my kid. He loves useless little things like that. For my part, if I find that an airgun is too weak to push Hobby pellets out I just use a smaller pellet, problem solved.
Rover

Post by Rover »

conradin wrote:
Rover wrote:Then you didn't poke it in? You know, Beeman sells/sold a device just for that purpose. Using the ball end to seat pellets gave a slight increase in accuracy in my testing, but I was too lazy to follow up with it. I just use my thumb.
I'm afraid they have stopped making those for a long time.
I thought as much. That's why I told him to use a BIC pen, but apparently he didn't.
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

I have one of those Beeman Pell Seat gadgets.
Actually got it from Rover a few years ago.
Only ever used it for one match.
It does push the pellet into the barrel with somewhat of an audible snap as the skirt pushes into the barrel.
I use R10 match but do have a partial tin to use up of the Meisters.
I have shot a tin of Hobbies years ago with no problems as per Rovers recommendation(cheap and pretty accurate).
Since I moved across the country and settled into the place have installed a 10m AP range in my garage, maybe will do some testing with it some day.

Clarence
D.R. badge #99
zanardi50

Post by zanardi50 »

zanemoseley wrote:I just got my FAS 6004 yesterday and am very impressed so far. I got the following pellets to try:

RWS Meisterkugeln
RWS R10
RWS Hobby
JSB Match Diablo
JSB Schak

They all work good except the RWS Hobby pellets, they misfire almost every time. It sounds like it just leaks air around the pellet or something. It is the only pellet with a ribbed skirt which might have something to do with it. Actually I tried this pellet first and though I had a bad pistol lol, switched pellets and had no more issues. Is it common for match pistols to have issues with cheaper pellets?
Not necessarily cheaper pellets, but ANY quality pellets too "fat" for this gun.

This happened to me just once with H&N (that's right!) 4.51mm pellets out of 6+ tins (3000 pellets).

And, it was my own fault. :-)

These 4.51mm's fit REAL tight in a FAS 6004, but not tight enough that it won't travel downrange, except that one time when I finger-seated the pellet VERY off-kilter and had to jam it in with some force.

On this particular attempt all I got in return was a weak-sounding champagne cork popping sound. Pellet still stuck in the breech. Didn't move one bit.

Repeated 8 times before I decided to push out the pellet by inserting a thin plastic rod from the business end of the barrel.

Upon close examination the pellet skirt was twisted/bent/crooked to one side, which explained the problem.

The very same pellet was symmetrical before I jammed it in. :-)

I agree that it's best to use a pellet pusher if you intend on shooting the fatter pellets.

-Bill
zanemoseley

Post by zanemoseley »

"champagne cork popping sound"

Lol that's a good comparison of the noise.
Rover

Post by Rover »

If the whole business is going to be too much for you, just ream out the chamber enough to allow seating the pellet. You DO know that it is the skirt that is too fat, not the nose.