Morini 162 poor muzzle speed consistency?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
flolo

Re: Morini 162 poor muzzle speed consistency?

Post by flolo »

[quote]In the past I have used a dry moly paste on the bolt by rubbing a thin coat onto the surface then burnishing with a lint free cloth. Is this also not recommended?[/quote]

as long as you use nearly to nothing, it should be ok.i use molycote BR2 plus, but again, just in a homoeopathic dosis.

[quote]Trade it in on a single stroke pneumatic![/quote] why not simply throwing the pellet at the target?
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

Rover wrote:Trade it in on a single stroke pneumatic!
Can the speed be increased on an SSP or would that require an adjustable swept volume? Cause I live at 4,700 ft so springers and SSPs shoot with reduced power. Lighter pellets do help to a point. And I also enjoy the increased pneumatic complexity of the pcp.
spektr

Post by spektr »

boyles law says you cannot "speed up" an ssp gun without changing the compression ratios.
Boyle's law states that at constant temperature for a fixed mass, the absolute pressure and the volume of a gas are inversely proportional. The law can also be stated in a slightly different manner, that the product of absolute pressure and volume is always constant. So since the fixed mass of air is "lighter" at altitude, the ssp guns have a performance difference compared to pcp guns which will shoot the same speed independent of barometric pressure. The exterior ballistics picture can be calculated and POI changes can be compensated.
Rover

Post by Rover »

My FWB 90 was noticeably slower when going from sea level to the 6,000' level at the OTC in Colorado Springs. I'm sure the same happens to a SSP, though it wasn't so noticeable when shooting my Pardini K58 at mile high Englewood, Colorado.
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

Getting at the hammer was very easy. And it was fairly dirty. I cleaned up the hammer, spring and guide. Then lightly greased the spring and guide and put one drop off light oil on the hammer. After this the spread went down to 14 fps over 15 shots still averaging 500 fps.
Attachments
IMG_20150219_204244~01.jpg
joel

Post by joel »

Rover wrote:Trade it in on a single stroke pneumatic!
Nobody saw that coming :)
flolo

Post by flolo »

[quote]Getting at the hammer was very easy. And it was fairly dirty. I cleaned up the hammer, spring and guide. Then lightly greased the spring and guide and put one drop off light oil on the hammer. After this the spread went down to 14 fps over 15 shots still averaging 500 fps.
[/quote]

Out of curiosity, did you also clean the inside of the gun?
wasatch

Post by wasatch »

Yes i cleaned out the hammer passage. I left the bolt alone tho.

I may try again, removing the oil from the hammer and hammer passage and instead burnishing the hammer with moly grease.

Because of how dirty the hammer was I'd like to clean the plumbing as well. Looking at the diagrams for the 162 I don't really understand the regulator assembly. Are they the parts circled in red in the attached diagram?
Attachments
Morini_CM_162MI_diagram_annotate.gif
flolo

Post by flolo »

before you do it: when was the last time you had serviced your pistol and how old is it? as i never had to clean the circled area before (was always clean,just replaced seals and spring there), maybe it's a defective seal or a seated spring ( the velocity spread on my 162ei is about 2 fps). best solution: get morini a call/email. they are usually very helpful and can send the needed replacement parts.
David M

Post by David M »

The circled items are the valve assy.
The pressure reg is the unit between the end of the
tank and the pistol body. As long as you have been
using clean air (most dive tank compressors have filters)
the valve/reg should be clean.
Strip and clean every 3-5 yrs on service.
Any oil or grease on the hammer or channel will attract
dirt and dust and become glug.
Kept dry the hammer will perform better over time, so
unless you clean and lube every couple of months,
please keep it dry, you will not wear it out.