Hammerli 162 Maintenance (PIC)

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

Freepistol wrote:I use Eley Target Pistol for practice and Eley Pistol Match.
Good call. I visited my favorite gun shop late Monday afternoon to look for different types of ammo to try out. I couldn't find any Eley Target or Match, but I found some Eley Sport. I'll try some of that this afternoon.

The owner of the shop also had a quantity of CCI "Green Tag" that he suggested I try, so I also bought a couple of boxes of that. Lastly, the owner (a friend of mine) gave me a box of Lapua "Pistol King" to try.

I'm hoping the "Green Tag" will work well. That's the only "target" ammo he has in any quantity.
6string

Post by 6string »

Hi,
Please post your results with the Green Tag.
It's been my experience with a bunch of Hammerli free pistols that all the CCI stuff is hard to chamber. A lot of guys used to have a short wooden dowel with a handle on it so you could fully seat an otherwise difficult round. This is a good way to take some of the strain off of your loading lever and preserve the headspace on your firearm.
However, if you have to eject an unfired round, say for a range officer call, it can be very hard to remove. (Usually best to just shoot it.)
Be careful of excess lube build up in the chamber and extractor. You don't want that stuff working its way down into the action and getting gummed up in your Hammerli!!

Best Regards,
Jim
madmull

Post by madmull »

hi,

I always shoot with SK rifle match, this is for me the best ammo (price / result) although eley tenex and rws50 are better but the price.....
I do not use pistol match cartridges because they provide more recoil.
I hear good sounds over CCI quiet, but this one is not available in my country.
This ammo seems to be very quiet (recoil) and also give good results and the price is low

greetz

madmull
jipe

Post by jipe »

6string wrote:Hi,
Please post your results with the Green Tag.
It's been my experience with a bunch of Hammerli free pistols that all the CCI stuff is hard to chamber.
Same experie4nce with my Hammerli 160 special (the mechanical trigger version of the 162). They are hard to chamber and hard to extract because the extractor of the Hammerli 160/162 only pull the case 4/5mm out of the chamber so you need to complete the extraction manually.

It only likes European ammunitions that have a slightly smaller diameter.

I use SK pistol match in it. RWS pistol green box also works fine.

Eley pistol match (old type, yellow box) are a little harder to chamber but not like CCI.

Actually, for free pistol, any match ammunitions performances by far outperform most shooters performances !
GoodGuy

Post by GoodGuy »

OK.... I tried several brands of ammo over the past couple of days. The CCI Green Tag shot more consistently than the old RWS I had tried earlier. Yes, I noticed that the CCI cases required some pressure to chamber, but I did not experience any issues with extraction.

The Eley sport did not perform any better than the RWS. It also left noticeably more residue in the bore than the other cartridges I tried.

The Lapua shot extremely well. Unfortunately, my friend doesn't have any more of it.

I think I'll use the CCI for awhile. I think as long as I keep the chamber and breech area clean, it will work fine and meet my requirements.