S&W Model 52-1 issue

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

EdStevens

Post by EdStevens »

Do you tumble your brass? I've had a couple where media got stuck in the primer pocket on the inside of the case and caused a misfire. The primer went off but the media prevented the powder from igniting. When you pull the cartridges, see if the primer went off. If it did, this is probably what happened. If the primer didn't go off then you've got a defective primer. I have had a couple with bad anvils but it is very rare.
RandomShotz

Post by RandomShotz »

This is an old thread, and, as I noted, the problem vanished as suddenly as it arrived and has not returned. I started using the same Lee loader and same methods with a .45 at about this time and that has not had a problem either.

I clean my brass with a sonic cleanser. Since I use carbide dies, I have no compunction about using the depriming die on pre-cleaned brass and the cleaning protocol I use gets the pockets very clean. I was thinking about getting a tumbler just because the brass is not "bright", i.e., there is some oxidation left, but since everything is working that might just be a matter of vanity.

Roger
hill987

primers

Post by hill987 »

I have some problems with win. primers in large rifle ammo that i loaded some time back and didn't fire with good hits something going on with win???