How much money do pro shooters make?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

Misny wrote:The fact of the matter is that, in the U.S., the general public isn't interested in competitive shooting, therefore no one supports it financially. It's always been that way and I don't see it changing in the future. As a general rule, even folks on gun-related websites don't have an interest in competitive shooting.
You have a gift for understatement. Though we don't help ourselves much.
Orion

Post by Orion »

orionshooter wrote:You are most likely to continue earning exactly what you are earning now.
+1
biggles1024

Post by biggles1024 »

muffo as guest wrote: In aus there are 2 female shooters that are played by some kind of sports commission I think around 65k a year
If you're refering to Dina and Lalita, last I heard was that Dina was receiving around $50k per year but Lalita's funding was pulled 2 or 3 years ago. They do get their air fares, accomodation, entry fees paid for as well as ammunition. Bear in mind that Dina's husband Anatoli is her coach and is also on the pay roll because he also coaches other shooters including juniors so between them they have a pretty income but most of it comes from his coaching, not her shooting.

If you knew the schedule the girls work to each year, I suspect you'd think twice about wanting to become a professional shooter. :)

Cheers,
j-team

Post by j-team »

biggles1024 wrote:If you're refering to Dina and Lalita,
We know them as the "Rustralians". I'm not convinced that importing athletes does any good for the locals.
biggles1024

Post by biggles1024 »

j-team wrote:
We know them as the "Rustralians". I'm not convinced that importing athletes does any good for the locals.
Who is "we" ?
j-team

Post by j-team »

biggles1024 wrote:Who is "we" ?
My New Zealand pistol shooting colleagues and I.
sparky

Post by sparky »

Sparks wrote:
Misny wrote:The fact of the matter is that, in the U.S., the general public isn't interested in competitive shooting, therefore no one supports it financially. It's always been that way and I don't see it changing in the future. As a general rule, even folks on gun-related websites don't have an interest in competitive shooting.
True, but that doesn't mean it couldn't change. Golf made the change over the last few decades, we'd just have to replicate what they did...

...just as soon as we figure out exactly what it was that they did that worked so well :D
Pro golf has been paying well for a long time. It just went from a lot of money to super ridiculous amounts of money after Tiger Woods came on the scene.
biggles1024

Post by biggles1024 »

j-team wrote:
I'm not convinced that importing athletes does any good for the locals.
The only countries that don't import athletes are those that either can't afford to because they're preoccupied with feeding their people or have such a large pool to draw from, think China and India that they don't need to.

You need only look at some of the more successful British athletes at the London games to see that a number of them weren't 'home grown'.

Cheers,
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

biggles1024 wrote:You need only look at some of the more successful British athletes at the London games to see that a number of them weren't 'home grown'.
There's a big difference between "importing" athletes and allowing them to live in your country or granting them refugee status (at the age of 8 in the case of Mo Farah).
j-team

Post by j-team »

David Levene wrote:
biggles1024 wrote:You need only look at some of the more successful British athletes at the London games to see that a number of them weren't 'home grown'.
There's a big difference between "importing" athletes and allowing them to live in your country or granting them refugee status (at the age of 8 in the case of Mo Farah).
Yes, my comments were refering to "pre made" athletes who are basically poached from another country once they are already preforming to a high level, not immigrants who excel after arriving.
biggles1024

Post by biggles1024 »

David Levene wrote:
Nice selective quoting. Do you have anything of value to add to this thread?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

biggles1024 wrote:
David Levene wrote:
I'm just wondering which of the British athletes you are suggesting was "imported" as opposed to those who were allowed to live here.

I know that some were born outside of the UK with dual nationality but that is normal practice.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

For starters there are rules with regards to athletes changing countries. It's not just as easy as going to the country that's the highest bidder. Many contries have lots of immigration in general, so just the law of averages suggests some might be top athletes, just as some are engineers, or trades people.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

biggles1024 wrote:
David Levene wrote:
How about some facts.

From all of the reports I have seen, 9 of the British medalists were born outside of the UK. Of those:-

6 moved to the UK when they were aged 8 or under.
1 only started his sport after he had moved to the UK in his teens.
1 moved to the UK with his British dad when he was 18.
1 changed his representation (he had dual nationality) when he moved to the UK in 2008.

I don't think there are any others.

Do you still think that the UK was importing athletes?
JSBmatch

Post by JSBmatch »

I'm not sure if this counts as getting paid for shooting, but a few years ago, the prize for the British sporting clay shooting winner was a Toyota 4X4. Clay shooting at high level in the UK is really the only shooting that attracts big money prizes, but no shooting from what I can gather earns a regular salary.

Any body remember the Zola Budd incident and her dual nationality at the Olympics years ago..

Just look at Chelsea Foot ball club, 90% are not of British origin, but I think foot ball in general has benefitted from these foreign players.

JSB
payman

Bundesliga

Post by payman »

What do you think about Bundesliga (Germany shooting League)?
Is it possible to make money there as a professional athlete?
Levergun59

Post by Levergun59 »

I think the only shooting sport that will ever make you money is Biathlon. It is easily the most TV friendly shooting sport. The Europeans in the top ranks make boatloads of money. I'll bet Magdelena Neuner isn't hurting
Chris
Bruno Almeida

Post by Bruno Almeida »

How about shooters like Niccolo Campriani and Qinan Zhu ?

Thank you, Bruno Almeida.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Bruno Almeida wrote:How about shooters like Niccolo Campriani and Qinan Zhu ?

Thank you, Bruno Almeida.
The simple answer is that you'll probably never find out. I don't know what prizes there are but they won't be anything like golf etc. Most of the funding an athlete will get from their governing body. I seem to recall most top shooting athletes are in their countries military which suggests to me they are not minted.

Rob.
Hap Rocketto

How much money do pro shooters make?

Post by Hap Rocketto »

Colleagues,

I have been shooting smallbore and high power rifle since 1961. After over a half century of participation in this sport I have, at long last, found the simple secret to making a small fortune in competitive shooting: start with a large fortune.

Hap