Matchguns in the USA???

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

RJP

Unloading a MG-2

Post by RJP »

NAV and all other who own a MG-2,

I have a MG-2 and I bought a RF Kit and installed it myself. It was not hard to do and only took about 30 minutes to do so. My gun is nearly 100% reliable with SK Pistol ammo. I have had less then 10 malfunctions in the last 7,000 rounds. That is right, a case and a half of .22 LR ammo.

What I really want to report is the unloading procedure which is not specified in the user manual.

1. Put the safety on safe (Dry fire button)
2. Remove the magazine.
3. Point the muzzle down and let the cartridge on the Bullet Insertion Lever (BIL) slide out the foward end of the gun where the magazine is normally held.
4. Rotate the gun 90 degrees to the left and retract the slide until just before the BIL begins to lift up and then lift up on the extractor to free the cartridge that was pulled out of the chamber and let that cartridge fall down through the space between the bolt face and the rear of the barrel.

As always, keep the gun pointed in a safe direction at all times.

Also, as other have previously mentioned, a MG-2 is a fantastic standard pistol with recoil and muzzle jump charactistics similar to an IZH-35.
NAV

RE: Matchguns in the USA

Post by NAV »

RJP,

I completely agree with you that the manual is lacking in the area of unloading the MG2 safely.

I am hopeful when I get my MG2 back that the RF conversion kit will feed properly. I really like my MG2 so I cannot wait until it gets back from Germany which I have been told should be pretty soon. I agree with you also in the statement that the MG2 conversion kit is pretty easy.

Ammo that I used with the standard MG2 was T-22 (you just have to be careful that the bullet is straight on the case - I had a couple that were not), PMC Target, Eley Tenex, CCI Green Tag (my favorite when I can find it), CCI Standard, Lapua and RWS. I have not located any SK ammo as of yet locally but I when CCI works so well I have not been looking too hard for it either.

In the regular MG2 when I have a jam it has been usually due to the ammo and not the gun.

By using the tube feed design, the MG2 is able to utilize a longer barrel than most other designs while still fitting inside the regulation measurements. I think the design is extremely innovative and like I said before I am glad I bought one.
Tom Amlie

Post by Tom Amlie »

There's an MG-2 on gunbroker right now.
NAV

RE: Matchguns in the USA

Post by NAV »

Did anyone see the Buy in Now Price on Gunbroker? $3,500 is really expensive, but if you want one bad enough there it is. That is the first time I have ever seen one on sale before. There is also one on sale at Potter's in Australia for considerably less. I have dealt with Potter's before and they are really great to do business with. Neal has imported things from there before so I know it is possible and was not too difficult.