Which magazine (and lips) for 1911 45 acp wadgun?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I bought my wadcutter Baer in the 80's and it came with a flat bottom Metalform with round follower, no rubber on bottom. I haven't had a magazine problem with these in all these years and I haven't had to bend on them either. Two guys on our group just bought new Baers in the past 3 months and they both have metalform magazines with round follower. One of the guns was a wadcutter with frame mount and the other was a wadcutter iron sights. Any magazine I have ever used will run in my Baer but for the price and longevity I am happy with metalform.

Recently I saw metalform magazines in CDNN for a real cheap price about $7. I got two and they don't look like the quality of the others I got with the gun and bought at stores. They have a flat follower and the gun runs OK with them but when loading they feel like there is friction or scratchiness as you are pushing a bullet in. I don't know if it is because the follower is flat, they are knockoffs or what but it does say metalform and has the logo on the bottom. -- Bill --
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I use the Metalform magazines both 7 and 8 round and have had no reliability issues with either a Dan Wesson Pointman or a SA Trophy Match.
oldcaster

Post by oldcaster »

I went back and looked at the Metalform magazine that came from CDNN and would say that the way the lips are formed it is obviously for hardball and not wadcutter. This may matter in some pistols but for me it doesn't seem to ever make any difference. -- Bill --
TonyT

Post by TonyT »

I have have not expereined any reliability issues with either Mwetalform or Novak/ActMag magazines. I use the 7 & 8 round Metalform in bullseye matches and the Novak/Act mag in steel challenge shoots.