proper training by SFC Keith Sandersen

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Sorry j-team, missed that. Clear enough on re-reading, thanks.
madmax

Post by madmax »

Just another take on dry fire.

I have recently started to dry fire at least 20 times before commencing TRAINING with live fire. Helps to bed in the way you set yourself up for the live fire. The interesting outcome is when I dry fire on turning targets (3 seconds facing for centre fire / sports pistol) I am amazed at the amount of movement in the pistol. Most of the time this is not noticeable with live fire, where the shot execution appears to be good. but the holes in the target tell lies!!

In line with most of you I dry fire at home. Usually on a scaled down target at just under 10m, sometimes using a SCATT. In preparation for a competition I dry fire whatever pistol(s) I will be using (ISSF only). It is also interesting to live fire the AP while using the SCATT to see if what shows up on the screen matches the holes in the target. This is because the SCATT registers the hit at the moment the sear releases, and the holes in the target indicate what happens between that point and the point where the pellet leaves the barrel!! Shakey, shakey time!!

A group of us met Keith at the Sydney WC last year. What a generous man. He sat with us for about 45 minutes and just TALKED, and answered our questions. Only left when he was called to go to his bus. Unforgettable and memorable.

Keep at it guys, you can only get better.

Max.
tedbell

Post by tedbell »

madmax wrote:Just another take on dry fire.

A group of us met Keith at the Sydney WC last year. What a generous man. He sat with us for about 45 minutes and just TALKED, and answered our questions. Only left when he was called to go to his bus. Unforgettable and memorable.

Max.
I agree- Keith is 100% a class act. I was shooting a PTO at Benning about five or six years ago and was a complete noob. Keith was there just cleaning up around the range- I introduced myself and he stopped what he was doing and talked with me for about half an hour until I had to go. Just a great down to earth guy who is willing to help anyone and share any of his experience.

Ted
paw080

Post by paw080 »

Okay, I watched that video and the many others that have Kieth Sanderson
demonstrating and lecturing. I found his holding exercise method really
significant. I'm not surprised that his massive dry firing frequency yields such
desireable results. Does anyone here have a comment on the holding
exercise talked about in the video?

Tony
CR10X

Post by CR10X »

Chris; As for dry fire training for Bullseye timed and rapid. simply start from the upper left or right of the target (depending on where you normal recoil goes), come back down on the target to your POA, complete the trigger and follow through.

As for triggers being different, I can say that any training is good training if designed and used properly. I used to use a double action revolver for dry fire training for bullseye, shooting the shot double action. That worked on the grip, trigger control and sight alignment all at the same time. But it wasn't the only thing I did. There were lots of other specific issues for me to work on without every firing a shot.

Anyway, my point is get training with whatever you can find that applies to some part of the shot process. Eventually, when we get enough of the parts done correctly and consistently, we get better.....

Cecil
Rover

Post by Rover »

Jim Henderson and some other AMU guys came to our 2700 last Sunday. I had a chance to chat with him for a bit; nice guy.

He shot a 2660-135X Grand Aggregate; up from 2655-126X 2nd place John Zurek. That is some hot competition!

The AMU shooters hung around long enough to shoot our Tues. night practice and give the "local boys" a few pointers.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Jim Henderson is a super nice guy. One of the beauties of going to Canton and Perry is that the AMU shooters will talk to you whenever they are free. In addition, the clinic they put on at Perry is always outstanding.
toddinjax

Post by toddinjax »

I think Gerard's description of the difference in feel between live and dry fire with the 46M is EXACTLY how I would describe it. As such, I convinced myself that the benefits of dry fire would not apply to me. Having watched the video, I admit that I'll start doing a lot more dry fire. I recently had a small issue with my 46M (likely caused by my own beginner ignorance) and Air Venturi proved to me that they have excellent customer service. They fixed the minor problem and "set up" the trigger for me. FWIW, my accuracy has improved no small amount in the few times I've shot since I get it back, and more importantly to this discussion, I know the trigger is functioning without flaw. That said, I would still adhere very closely to Gerard's description of contrast between live and dry.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

For what it's worth, I recently purchased a Pardini K10, and can say with confidence that dry and live fire trigger feel are identical. I've adjusted the trigger stages to suit me, adjusted the weight (which came to me well below 400grams!) to about 520grams, and modified a couple of trigger parts to allow the center of pull to come closer to the barrel line (like the 46m) and allow a diagonal cant to the trigger while keeping the center of pull aligned below the barrel center. Feels good, both dry and live firing. Tried the 46m both ways again last night, and it's no comparison. It's still a nice trigger, just not so nice dry.
deragoku

Post by deragoku »

I have been doing a lot of practice, but not much training. I began to ask the RF dry fire training, rather than have a bunch of running around in different disciplines ] to discuss a new thread.