rear sight selection.Good or bad advice/opinion

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

justadude

Post by justadude »

Eric,

Thanks for the comments and comparisons on the Centra vs Warner.

On visual inspection the Warner is clearly the beefier sight, but where I am only shooting smallbore the sight does not take much of a pounding and dollars or the conservation thereof is also a consideration.

I did a bit of measuring with a test indicator on my 20 year old Hammerli's and for comparison sake at 10m the impact change is 0.4mm per click. This is twice what most of the new Centra's advertise. Now on my prone gun with a 12" tube at 50m this works out to 1.5mm per click. The fun thing here is that my experience/observations on the line pretty much back up what my calculator just said.

In the for what it is worth department, focusing on the Centra offerings, those that advertise 0.2mm per click at 10m would translate to 0.7mm per click at 50m on my prone gun. Those that adverstise 0.25mm per click@10M work out to 0.9mm per click @50m on my gun.

For those wondering "my prone gun"=Anschutz M54 action with heavy barrel (uncut) and 12" tuner tube.

While my prone shooting has yet to make it back to the point where the refinement in clicks is going to make a difference I am most interstested in the fact that the Centra sight looks to be quite short. For me, that is the feature I am looking for.

Thanks for the insight,
Cheers,
'Dude
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Has anyone any thoughts on the Gehmann wind sights?

I picked up one of the older 594s a few weeks ago specifically to be able to see the wind flags at 50m/100 yards. My Steyr rearsight has very fine precise clicks (thanks to spring loading), but is very bulky and heavily restricts my view down range.

I've shot with the Gehmann and like it, but I'd be interested to hear opinions of the accuracy of the adjustment.

Tim
KennyB

Post by KennyB »

Tim S wrote:Has anyone any thoughts on the Gehmann wind sights?

I picked up one of the older 594s a few weeks ago specifically to be able to see the wind flags at 50m/100 yards. My Steyr rearsight has very fine precise clicks (thanks to spring loading), but is very bulky and heavily restricts my view down range.

I've shot with the Gehmann and like it, but I'd be interested to hear opinions of the accuracy of the adjustment.

Tim
This is anecdotal and I have no personal experience but...

I have heard that the older Gehmann windsights required lubrication to get them to track consistently - something about the dovetails getting "grabby" and sticking and then letting go as you wind them. The way the windage was done looks as if it could be an issue:

Also, the clicks are relatively coarse, I believe.

Ken.
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

I had Gehmann 594 for a while and endorse the comment about the fairly coarse adjustment. I tried it for a while, couldn't really get on with it and sent it on its way. It had been doing the rounds of the county before I acquired it and I have the feeling that it still is! It's one of those love it or loathe it gizmos.

Rutty