How to shoot standard pistol?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Dev

aligned at 45*

Post by Dev »

No Richard he actually meant that when one holds the pistol at 45* on the attention command.
On more thing I was holding sub six or almost six o'clock, now John writes that he holds at the nine...I presume that is the nine ring? I may have to try this cause I get frustrated at how my group stays just below the ten at times.
John, David and Spencer how many rounds less then eleventy billion to hit 560?:-)
I shouldn't be cribbing but trying to use another guy's pistol has the drawback of not being allowed to adjust the sights or the grip. But I remain grateful to the guy for letting me practice at his home range on his training time. Guess shooters are really nice folk...specially you guys.

Warm Regards,

Dev
john bickar

Re: aligned at 45*

Post by john bickar »

Dev wrote:John writes that he holds at the nine...I presume that is the nine ring?
Yeah, I shoot center hold for everything. By "9+" I mean a smaller-than-9-ring hold ("9 hold" = 9-ring hold, etc.).
Spencer

Re: aligned at 45*

Post by Spencer »

Dev wrote:...how many rounds less then eleventy billion to hit 560
Dev
It does not have to be all live fire - dry fire (saves ammo) will do the same job to imprint the technique - it does not even need to have the hammer release, taking up the first stage will also 'do the job' (saves firing pins on older pistols).

But... <pause> ...the propoerly aligned sights must come up to, and into the aiming area automatically.
This applies to the first shot in 20/10 seconds Standard and for RFP - the first shot in 10 or 20 seconds Standard seems like a snack if you are also shooting RFP.

A straight lift technique does not even need a pistol and range. A 1kg or 1.5kg dumbell and any wall with a vertical line or edge can be used to practice in your stance.
As with any training exercise, do the same number of 'reps' with each arm.

'Duelling' can be done a bit differently with the shot release as the sights are passing the aiming area, and some use this technique for the firt shot in Standard - but that's another story.
Dev

sp drill

Post by Dev »

Thanks for the drill Spencer, I will practice this as I don't have a SP yet.
I shall be continuing with my air pistol as now more and more fine things are beginning to reveal themselves. For instance when you think right you can put four in the ten and one in the nine in a five shot series. Blew my mind... that experience did. Now to try and repeat the same sequence in every shot.

Warm Regards,

Dev
lastman

Post by lastman »

Hi Dev,

Good topic.

I don't really train standard too much, suffice to say that Free and Rapid take care of that for me.

I tend to find that STD is about confidence in your technique and processes and planning.

I find that in the 150's I don't have time to abort a shot, so I need to be very confident in my shot process. Also if something does come up I want to know that I can perform 2 or even 3 shots without lowering the pistol to make up that time lost.

20 seconds is what I find to be the most difficult part of the match. I take a deep breath in when starting the series and although it's ill advised I do exhale while performing the shots, it just works for me. I then take another breath in once I have fired the 3rd shot and finish the series. As far as shooting the shots it's the same as the 150's without lowering and raising the pistol

10 seconds is relatively easy for me as I shoot a lot of Rapid. I find that getting the 1st shot away quickly (2 seconds) gives plenty of time to focus on the sights and squeeze the trigger.

Everyone has given you plenty of technique tips here and I don't have much to add, the 1 thing I would stress as being very important to Standard is planning. Have plans for each of the 3 series and each shot within each series. Also your sighting series requires a separate plan.

Once you have that nailed you will be able to shoot the match with much more confidence.

Good luck