positive approach

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

Reference Emotions, In my competitions I found that emotions played a large part in maintaining the level of my performance. Too lazy and points were lost because I was not working hard enough to produce my top scores. Too excited caused an even worse deterioration. I learned to manupulate my emotional state to arrive at the level where I could function at or near my peak shooting performance. Beyond that, emotions interfered with my ability to properly plan and execute my shot plan. Some shooteers at the top level did not seem to be affected by the same problem, so I cannot advise every one to use the approach I took, but if you are suffering through the same issue, you might try to .manulate the emotional issues that interfere with your performance. Good SHooting Bill Horton
robf

Post by robf »

there's an arousal vs performance curve, which starts off with both being low, and as arousal increases, so does performance. But past a point, as arousal increases, the peformance drops off, and it's debatable if it can be got back within a match.

this is often tied to emotion. Certain famous tennis players used it to get to their sweet spot.
2650 Plus

Post Suubject

Post by 2650 Plus »

For Rolf, Your description does not describe my experience. I often found a very high level of emotional intensity at the start of a match. I coped by using a mental removal from the competition by using a distraction such as watching an ant crawling on the ground or a bird or even a butterfly intently for several minutes. I would check my pulse.breathing rythem,ect, and as soon as the checks came back to my normal resting rates I would start preparing to "re-enter" the competition. It was a somewhat lesser problem in being too relaxed, Good Shooting Bill Horton
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

robf wrote:...Certain famous tennis players used it to get to their sweet spot.
And those shooters who use the same method are well known!
They can be found at club level
they can be found at State/National level
They can be found at international level

They are a pain!

Whether as a shooter (yes, I used to compete at the national level) or as an administrator (worked that end of state/national/WC/Olympic competitions, and still do so occasionally) or as an official (ditto) - they are a pain and on balance, probably contribute nothing to the sport!
2650 Plus

Mental disciplin

Post by 2650 Plus »

Mr Spenser, I would truly enjoy messing with your mind on the firing line. Just remember that I do not call names or refer to posters as a pain or any other perjoritive term as I am willing to accept all shooters as having valid ideas and concepts. As for me ,I have never held up shooting as I make sure that my prepartion is completed prior to the start of the range firing commands. Fifty meters firing is most dificult for me and that is where I find that the mental game is most importsnt. I have found that rapid fire requires that I be totally prepared prior to the first command and I do so prior to being called to the firing line. Good Shooting Bill Horton
robf

Re: Post Suubject

Post by robf »

2650 Plus wrote:For Rolf, Your description does not describe my experience. I often found a very high level of emotional intensity at the start of a match. I coped by using a mental removal from the competition by using a distraction such as watching an ant crawling on the ground or a bird or even a butterfly intently for several minutes. I would check my pulse.breathing rythem,ect, and as soon as the checks came back to my normal resting rates I would start preparing to "re-enter" the competition. It was a somewhat lesser problem in being too relaxed, Good Shooting Bill Horton
Well, each to their own :)

Physical and mental attributes that form arousal are two different things, and although they can be related, overlap, they are different. Tying one to another can bring it along... your mental exercise reduces your heart beat. Understanding what can happen with them both acting individual vs performance is worth looking into.

Anyway i would prefer a shooter was thinking about what to do, rather than thinking about thinking ;)
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

Only one comment ! Does it work ? Good Shooting Bill Horton