Gorgs accepted in World Class Programme

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Hemmers

Re: Shooting, Manx style...

Post by Hemmers »

RobStubbs wrote: Yep and it's an early easter this year so pack your thermals. Me I'm planning on going there in 2011 when easter is later :). Might even do both rifle and pistol if I can fit it into the (long) weekend. (NB/ My excuse is that I'm already at the Scottish Pistol championships over the same w/e this year).

Rob.
Can't afford to go this year *sigh* And it's not that bad - Easter Sunday's only April 4th. In 2008 it was March 23rd - and had the weather to match. Was literally shaking on the firing point on the Saturday after half an hour in that wind chill! Ended up finding a duvet from the range stores.

Not exactly Equipment Control compliant, but I wasn't going to shoot record-breaking scores and wouldn't have finished the course without it!
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

I hope it was an electrically heated duvet? :-)
KOC

Post by KOC »

If you'll forgive a bit more thread drift... If the British pistol team has to practice in Switzerland due to the prevailing firearms laws at home, what legal hurdles will London 2012 Olympic shooters face when deplaning with free, sport, and RF pistols? Is the competition's arms locker being declared a free zone for the duration, or something?

Sincere question.
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

Look forward to being met off the plane by scowling plod toting machine guns would be my guess.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

I have inquired with Metropolitan Police, will post the answer if I receive one.

Alexander
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

I'm sure it will be similar to the 2002 Commonwealth Games at Bisley. They will take your guns upon arrival to lock-up at the games. The range will most likely be built like a cage so that the masses of fans can't get access to the shooters and get their grubby little hands on those dangerous pistols.

Or as one of our team members did, go out one of the wrong doors at the airport, and end up in the parking lot with a case full of pistols and not even clearing customs. He found his way back in and they were very embarrassed.
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Only briefly later (right now), I received an intermediate message by Metropolitan Police:
Dear Alexander,

This reply is to confirm that we have received your email. Unfortunately we do not have an answer to your question but your email has been forwarded to a manager. We will get back to you shortly.

Regards
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

KOC wrote:....what legal hurdles will London 2012 Olympic shooters face when deplaning with free, sport, and RF pistols?
I would guess it would be the same as at virtually every other major competition. The guns will be taken straight from the airport to the range armoury and will be issued from there for training, competing, maintenance etc.

From memory, teams arriving for the Commonwealth Games in 2002 had to enter via Heathrow Airport which is where the gun transfer point was.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

David Levene wrote:
KOC wrote:....what legal hurdles will London 2012 Olympic shooters face when deplaning with free, sport, and RF pistols?
I would guess it would be the same as at virtually every other major competition. The guns will be taken straight from the airport to the range armoury and will be issued from there for training, competing, maintenance etc.

From memory, teams arriving for the Commonwealth Games in 2002 had to enter via Heathrow Airport which is where the gun transfer point was.
David don't leave out the cage at Bisley, it's like Beyond the Thunder Dome, you can compete like you're an animal.