Pistol lens diopter survey

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

What is the plus spherical correction you are using for your sighting eye?

Poll ended at Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:54 pm

+ 0.25 sph
13%
+ 0.50 sph
31%
+ 0.75 sph
26%
+ 1.00 sph
5%
+ 1.25 sph
8%
Other (Please post value in reply)
15%
Don't know
3%

Total votes: 39

higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

Thanks Tillman.

My eyes were 20/20 but I have noticed recent, with age, that it is getting harder to focus on near things (near as in small print at reading distance in low light).

Potters is my local supplier (Australia) so I will try their 0.5 and 0.75 lenses for the Varga.

Cheers

David
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

I am currently getting a new shooting lense. so far at the optomotrist the best lense for my eye was a .66. he is making me 3 lenses in 1/8 increments as a base to see wat is the best on different ranges. he will then make me a further 3 to try after initial testing. then if i am happy he will cut the finall lense if not he will make another 3 to try
tleddy

1/8 diopter lenses

Post by tleddy »

Muffo-

One of the issues in the 1/8 diopter lenses is quality control. Please ask your eye doctor (who, by the way, is extremely enlightened) to measure the lenses to confirm the power after they come in.

Also, may I inquire as to the cost of this process? Custom lenses in the one eighth diopter precision range are usually really expensive and I am curious as to the cost. Perhaps the cost is less in Oz then in the USA.

Tillman

ibid - my post above on visual discrimination of differences in diopters. tle
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

I think he is pritty efficient he already pointed out that my previous lense had been cut wrong. the cost isnt a problem as he is only going to charge me for one lense which my last one was about $100 the only draw back is the the lense has to be sent away to be cut and they also have to have the lense holder and it takes about 2 weeks to be done so i cant do any shooting in the mean time. he also tested 1/16 rises but i cant tell the difference.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Muffo wrote:I think he is pritty efficient he already pointed out that my previous lense had been cut wrong. the cost isnt a problem as he is only going to charge me for one lense which my last one was about $100 the only draw back is the the lense has to be sent away to be cut and they also have to have the lense holder and it takes about 2 weeks to be done so i cant do any shooting in the mean time. he also tested 1/16 rises but i cant tell the difference.
Gives you an idea of how little it costs to produce the lens, if the optometrist can eat the cost of three or four lenses and still make a profit on a $100 sale.
I currently pay about USD55 for an AR coated plastic lens cut to my prescription.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

.25 and .5