Behavioral Metrics

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

bryan wrote:steve, you been put to the test yet? long 6 weeks.
So who controls the holes in paper?
Your behaviours determine where the shot goes - it's a result of your actions not something you directly do. Perhaps not the clearest wording, but you don't train to shoot tens you train to shoot technically good shots - those shots result in 10's.

dont know if reinforcing an aborted shot is so good, regardless of why, within reason, it was a failure to prepare for the shot properly. just put it down without much thought about it and start again, properly.
An abort is a good shot because it is a potential 10. We will never acheive total perfection so to recognise something ain't right and halt the process is a good behaviour. You then get your mind back into the right pattern and start the shot process again.

Rob.
bryan

Post by bryan »

Your behaviours determine where the shot goes - it's a result of your actions not something you directly do. Perhaps not the clearest wording, but you don't train to shoot tens you train to shoot technically good shots - those shots result in 10's.
posted the second part a few times myself.

behaviour doesnt fit right, are you using it as a substitute for attitude?
one is how you act, one is how you think.

maybe trying to control the placement of the holes in the target by controlling behaviour is the new way? I think it is putting the cart in front of the horse.

as lanny would put it, you need to fix your attitude.

maybe I missed the point on aborting the shot, this is still new since coming to pistol.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

bryan wrote:
posted the second part a few times myself.

behaviour doesnt fit right, are you using it as a substitute for attitude?
one is how you act, one is how you think.
Bryan,
I suspect we're using different words to mean the same kind of things. Attitude means nothing in terms of delivering the correct shot. To me 'attitude' is a holistic, overarching state of mind. Yes you need the right attitude but that is not what we're talking about here. Behaviours to me, and in this context, means the execution of the correct technical processes to deliver a good shot.

Rob.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Bryan:

If yoiu go back tot he diagram you will see "Attitude" is in there . . .
jackh

Post by jackh »

I don't know, but the term "behaviour" does not quite translate to "skilled performance" or technique to me. Too broad a term perhaps.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

"Behavior" is everything the meat puppet does to interact with everything that is not the meat puppet.

[I know the dictionary definition is worded a little more delicately.]

Perhaps I should use the term "Shooting Behavior?"

But then some will think of that term as being too narrow; not including the whole realm of distractions and thinking happy thoughts; which most definitely are part of the way the meat puppet interacts with the gun . . .
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

jackh wrote:I don't know, but the term "behaviour" does not quite translate to "skilled performance" or technique to me. Too broad a term perhaps.
Don't get hung up on specific words - they mean subtly different things to different people (from different countries and cultures). It's the philosophies and meanings behind the words that matters and I think that's what most people are trying to convey.

Rob.
bryan

Post by bryan »

our attitude is how we perceive everything, thus how we behave.
you can choose to act in a certain way, but this may not have the affect of moulding our attitude into a winning one. assuming you need to change it!

i would be putting the word behaviour in the context you are using it more as shot process/plan.

to have the right attitude towards your shooting will exibit the desired behaviour you are trying to create, not the other way round.

technique is what you train, it becomes muscle memory after time. this just leaves you to work on a couple key areas during the comp that is specific to you. hence the comp plan.
this is to have some purpose, something to follow, and gauge yourself against.
"Behavior" is everything the meat puppet does to interact with everything that is not the meat puppet.
sure about that?

only hang up I have about some words are some seem to wrapped up in trying to coin a new term than actually training.
If yoiu go back tot he diagram you will see "Attitude" is in there . . .
Sorry, where?
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Day 1, Free Pistol:

Perfect conditions, no excuses. Overcast, well lit, some wind, no pain.

PANET: (4/10/38/18/70) plus 5 sighters (not tracked)

- Not as many perfect executions as desired. Actually my standards for what constitutes a perfect shot ahs gone up . . . I think this is a good thing (expecting higher levels of performance) . . . but makes comparisons over time problematic.

- Only put the gun down 10 times; obviously, should have at least put it down 18 more times!

Strategy for tomorrow: follow my own advice and concentrate on executing proper behaviors! Starting with sighters, only drop the hammer on good looking conditions. PTFGD whenever conditions don't look right. It is better to shoot 30 loved and wanted shots (scoring a 300) than to shoot 60 half-assed shots (scoring a 500+). Nothing but good looking shots . . .

Post by Guest »

For Steve a 512-18 place- get moving
the other guy

Post by the other guy »

obviously your goals for steve are different than his goals . . . maybe you have a different agenda . . .
2650 Plus

Metrics

Post by 2650 Plus »

The Other Guy ? Steve is this you ? In either case, Hang in there Steve. Keep to your shot plan, and shoot many good shots. The match ain't over til the fat lady sings. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Free Pistol Day 1:

PANET: (4/10/38/18/70) @ (10/26/14/6/4) 10/9/8 etc

Free Pistol Day 2:

PANET: (6/16/49/11/76) @ (13/27/10/8/2)

- Stuck more to "the plan" (only "Loved and Wanted Shots" exit the muzzle; set adn follow higher standards, etc.)

- Some painful lapses in "the plan" [shot more 7s but fewer 6s] when discipline lost [fatigue? inattention?]

So, this reinforced "The Plan" which i carried over into AP training.

MAP Training:

20 sighters with lapses in "The Plan" then pressed mental reset button and

PANET: (4/12/11/5/32) @ (8/12)

O.K., not so bad . . . tedious (and difficult to enforce!) aborting all those substandard attempts . . . requires a lot more "metnal toughness" than I thought! Will stick to it for M1 tomorrow morning.

Have to wrap my head around committing to "It's Better To Leave Some on the Bench" (as time runs out and take "misses") than it is to "Drop the Hammer On A Mediocre Look."

Maybe this is just me talking to myself here, but I find the SUBTLE yet SIGNIFICANT change in thinking away from "results" to "behaviors" a lot more interesting than i thought it would be initially . . .

Post by Guest »

If you are expending this much focus on individual shots, you are wasting energy. Free pistol is a marathon not a sprint. Take a step back and look at the larger picture. Taking stock in aborted shots is a negative afermation is seem to me. Forget all the math. Think in terms of group. If you have to think about math try calculating a percentage of tens. make 50% your base line. Or maybe 35-40% at your level. Try to think how you shot all the tens, not the other shots.
2650 Plus

Metrics

Post by 2650 Plus »

Guest sounds about right, Especally about concentrating on the best shots as reinforcement for your concept. Plan the shot , go up and just do it. It aint that hard to shoot a ten as long as your confidence is high and you go ahead and shoot the shot in your best rythem. Being careful is not what I'm talking about. Just shoot the damned thing in your minimum arc of movement and be happy ! Good Shooting Steve. Bill Horton

Post by Guest »

OK Steve: You just finished in the bottom 50%. 512/521. You had the plan of all plans. What adjustments are you making to better your performance?
Fred

Post by Fred »

Anonymous wrote:OK Steve: You just finished in the bottom 50%. 512/521. You had the plan of all plans. What adjustments are you making to better your performance?
"Guest" or whoever you are,

Put a sock in it.

1. Steve is just coming off significant surgery.

2. He had the guts to lay out his plan in advance, and then report honestly on it. But then you wouldn't understand that, not even having the guts to identify yourself.

FredB

P.S. I never thought I would be defending Steve, and I know he doesn't need it. It's just that snarky anonymous comments really annoy me.
Steve Swartz

More Sappy Personal Thoughts

Post by Steve Swartz »

Thanks Fred- I appreciate the moral support under whatever circumstances! =8^)

Maybe what is so confusing here for some folks is that I am not "bragging" about anything or even using this public forum to advance myself in some way. That must really bother some people on some level . . .

Anyhow

I thought there might be some broader "lessons to be learned" (Good, Bad, or Ugly- your call!) by sharing this unvarnished journey/struggle out of mediocrity. My personal experience has been that while hearing how a top shooter shoot a world class score (the usual explanation is some variation of "it was magic!"), that sort of learning didn't really affect my day to day struggle or performance. I have frequently learned more from other shooters as they were "on their way up" perhaps because i could *relate* to the struggle more.

Whatever

So yesterday afternoon) MAP training had a not-too-bad set of shots; 20 wild sighters, calmed down and decided to stick to the plan, then had a good 20 shot series:

PANET: (4/12/11/5/32) @ (8/12)

Today it looked like

PANET: (9/33/42/9/93) @ (18/33/9)

Lessons Learned (or "Re-re-Learned")

- Shot 10s and tight nines when the shot was "Loved and Wanted"
- Shot 8s when trying to make a 9 a ten (overholding)
- Set your glasses to get a good sight picture and then stick with it; had to use a tight iris with +.25 diopter to get rid of front sight "glare." For some reason i decided to shoot about 12 shots (many/most of them 8s) when I thought i would relax the eye by opening up the iris and taking off the correction. Yeah, that was STOO-PID.

Huge Lesson Learned #1
- Now need to work on making sure those "Loved and Wanted Conditions" come around more often! (having to shoot 93 shots to get a mediocre score is not very efficient)

Huge Lesson Learned #2
- Forcing high standards of what constitutes a "worthy" attempt; and then putting the gun down consistently when those conditions aren't met is HARD. "Stick to the plan" sounds great in theory but it requires a really high degree of mental toughness and discipline. I can honestly say I had a much better score in me today- if only i was tough enough to force myself to shoot it.

****SAPPY PERSONAL OBSERVATIONS****

Now I know what my surgeon/physical therapist were talking about:

Surgeon: "The geometry of your elbow is different. You will have to start over. Think of yourself as an aphasic stroke victim learning how to talk again."

Physical Therapist: "You will be starting from scratch. You will have to repeat the perfect physiological conditions reliably 1,000 times to establish the new patterns. Do it wrong once and you go back 500."

(both are sports medicine professionals who work on local NBA & NFL team members)

On the other hand- I consider this a great opportunity. I'm in better shape now than i was back in my 30s. The physical therapy and training allow me to stand for two hours, pain and fatigue free, and attempt/deliver close to 200 shots. I never could have done that before the injury/surgery/recovery.

You know what's funny? I wish this had all happened to me about 6 years ago . . .

Post by Guest »

For the record Steve had a 549 placed 24/41 a fair start
2650 Plus

Metrics

Post by 2650 Plus »

Hot dam Steve you are starting to hammer Stay with your shot plan, shoot good solid shots , stay within the rythem that works for you. Concentrate on the shot sequence and keep on shooting those good shots. I am impressed with the improvement as you have progressed through the competition. No excusses for any thing just drive on. Good Shooting Bill Horton