Changing to a sub-6 hold

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Freepistol

Re: Center vs sub six hold

Post by Freepistol »

2650 Plus wrote:We have really wandered way off the subject of the orriginal post. Back to it, have you considered the possibility that you were never focused on the front sight to start with ? And , even worse could you be silloueting the front sight against the target white and still not looking [focusing] on it even now ? A consistant cant does not seem to cause any considerable damage to the shot grouping But why would you want to do it in the first place? I once watched a free pistol shooter fire a 580 in a warm up match who turned the piston on its right side with the sights mounted on the left side of the pistol . Please dont ask me to explain this process as I didn't understand what he was doing at the time and still have no idea why he arrived at this strange configeration. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Hi Bill,
There is surely the possibility that I wasn't properly focused, however, I did shoot a good group at 2 o'clock and doubt I could do that without focusing. I do not want to cant the pistol. I was looking for an explanation why the group was there. I was shooting ten shots on the AP target and could see the hole develop (no spotting scope). I couldn't explain it then and thought the cant might be a solution. I still believe canting is more critical in sub-6 than center hold.

I haven't shot since 1995 and am still working on getting my technique reestablished. I had fewer than 400 rounds through the AP at the time and about 50 FP. I was doing a lot of holding and dryfiring trying to get comfortable again. I didn't have an obvious canting problem before and don't think I have a major problem now, however, due to my lack of experience, I could have been doing many things wrong. Thanks, Bill.
Ben
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Steve Swartz wrote:O.K., time to get a bench vise mounted at eye level and a protractor and see what happens in reality . . .
Will that be able to take into account the fact that most people, or at least the ones I know, rotate the gun around the aiming mark as their amount of cant changes.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

David:

Well, since I don't cant (at least as measured by the Rika) I don't know!

If what you say is true, then the "cant offset" will be reduced by the rotation of the POA around the POI.

In other words, a ccw cant would move the shots to the left; but if the ccw rotation includes a rotation of the POA to the right, this would cancel out part (all?) of the cant effect.

Sheesh.

I go back to my original position: if the *shot to shot variation* in your cant is so bad that you are concerned about whether you should hold center vs. sub-six, then you should STOP FLOPPING YOUR CANT AROUND long before you ever consider changing your aiming area!

Steve

(boy oh boy you Sloppy Canters out there really had me going for a while!)