How to score 10m

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Cuervo79

Post by Cuervo79 »

About the recoil part. I feel It is partly true, the FWB C20 I train with has a kind of recoil but only noticeable sometimes. I haven't been able to notice how to grip it so it can be controlable, or is it just my mind? I saw today that even if my hand was kind of trembly I could control the recoil (the pistol sometimes never moved while taking the shot even though my hand or my arm was trembling) Is there an exersise (sp?) for this not to happen?

On the blank target training. We shouldn't look for groupings then? I tried doing it but I didn't give it enough of a try since my groupings where in a horizontal line. I will try again not caring too much about groupings.. Althoug I do have to say something. It really helped, now I have a more stable group (say on average of 10 shots 6 are inside the bullseye) and no groupings on the lower part of the bullseye any more.
Craig B.

Post by Craig B. »

Anyone who thinks an Air Pistol doesn't recoil (muzzle flip), shoot an LP10 and a Morini side by side.
Then think again!!
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Cuervo79 wrote: On the blank target training. We shouldn't look for groupings then? I tried doing it but I didn't give it enough of a try since my groupings where in a horizontal line. I will try again not caring too much about groupings.. Althoug I do have to say something. It really helped, now I have a more stable group (say on average of 10 shots 6 are inside the bullseye) and no groupings on the lower part of the bullseye any more.
You should not shoot for group, but, as others have said, concentrate solely on keeping the front sight in sharp focus and aligned. A group will develop, if your NPA is (more or less) centered on the blank target paper. As part of your training you need to develop a stance and grip that will naturally point the aligned sights at the center of the paper. If your NPA is off the paper and you are continually trying to keep the gun on the paper while doing the exercise, then you are not doing it correctly and your group will be large.
darticus

Ok help! Thanks Pete

Post by darticus »

Do I have this right?
I am just shooting at the blank side. Just hit the blank side.Objective of this is to watch the sites, I think? This is not to practice shooting groups but only to watch the sight alignment. Do you have to shoot or can you just watch the sights and dry fire or can you not fire and just watch sights? Thanks Ron
Fred Mannis

Re: Ok help! Thanks Pete

Post by Fred Mannis »

darticus wrote:Do you have to shoot or can you just watch the sights and dry fire or can you not fire and just watch sights? Thanks Ron
Ron,
The answers to your questions are - yes, yes, and yes. Do all three.
Re read Steve Swarz's earlier note in this thread. It says it all.

If you haven't already done so, take a look at Ed Hall's articles on this website - http://www.pilkguns.com/ehindx.shtml

Good shooting

Fred
darticus

Steves Posts

Post by darticus »

He's da man! Seems to know his stuff.Don't want to tell him I use center hold, he'll probally go nuts.
PETE S

Post by PETE S »

"the FWB C20 I train with has a kind of recoil but only noticeable sometimes. "

Is it possible that the "recoil" is not recoil, but rather other muscles in your hand, wrist, forearm, and fingers that contract or move when only the trigger finger should move?

Recoil comes from the mass of the projectile and acceleration. Of course, there are more detailed factors concerning felt recoil, etc.

Another training technique is to hold the safe, unloaded, uncocked air pistol in your shooting position whilst focusing hard on your sight alignment. Now move your trigger finger back and forth, possibly moving the trigger and releasing the trigger. Develop the ability to do this without the sights moving. But you must have lots of your attention on the sights. If you think you can do this, do it some more and pump the trigger faster. Then do some basic dry fire.

If the sights move, YOU are doing it.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Most of hte time the "recoil" you are seeing is actually the twitch of your hand as the trigger pressure goes from 500 grams down to trigger reset force (~200 grams) at the instant the sear snaps away.

With a mechanical trigger, you must carefully grip the pistol and position your finger on the trigger in such a way that your trigger pressure force is pointing directly in paralle with the bore centerline (actually should pass through the center of mass of the gun AND the trigger force couple simultaneously also, but aside from being physiclaly impossible that's a quibble).

When the sear breaks, whatever balanced forces you had established for holding the sights aligned and still just priopr to breaking hte shot will be disrupted.

This is commonly confused with, and called "Trigger Jerk," by a lot of folks. Trigger Jerk is a much more gross movement caused by trying to time the release of the shot when the sights are both aligned AND aimed, causing the shooter to "snatch" at the trigger.

Both (sear pressure release and trigger jerk) are bad- and happen at the worst possible moment.

The release of the shot should be . . . what's the perfect word for it . . . "PLACID."

Steve Swartz