Trigger question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

BJ wrote:How can we try to comply with a rule that is open to 2 different interperatations.
I would suggest that you should do what most other sensible people would do whenever there is room for doubt. Allow for a margin above the minimum weight and measure from a sensible position. If you think that an Equipment Control officer is going to start checking your trigger finger position with a micrometer then I think you are mistaken. If the EC officer thinks your groove position looks reasonable then that is where he will measure from.
CraigE

I didn't intend to poke into a hornets' nest, but

Post by CraigE »

for those following this thread: I have adjusted to 540g and groups are the same or better. All I was really trying to accomplish was to be certain of compliance, not achieve some mystical magic release. That happens with training, not mechanics. Thanks to responders for the help/suggestions.

CraigE
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

Hi,

Rule: 8.4.2.6.2

Does this mean that it is possible to adjust trigger pull during match?

Kent
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Reinhamre wrote:Rule: 8.4.2.6.2

Does this mean that it is possible to adjust trigger pull during match?
In theory, yes it can be adjusted. You need to remember the following rules though:-

8.4.1.1 (Final sentance) The Jury has the right to examine a shooter's equipment and apparel at any time.

8.6.6.1.2 If a shooter exchanges his pistol during the competition unless authorized by the Jury, or modifies or adjusts his officially approved pistol or equipment so that it no longer conforms to the Rules, before or during the competition, he must be disqualified.

In other words, if you are seen adjusting it then a Jury member can inspect it. If it then doesn't lift the weight you MUST be disqualified. For that reason you should also remember:-

8.6.6.1.2.1 If there are any doubts regarding any alteration, the pistol must be returned to Equipment Control for re-inspection and approval if it qualifies.
Reinhamre

Post by Reinhamre »

so that it no longer conforms to the Rules
If the shooter take the initiative to control the trigger it may be difficult to disqualify him. If he claims that it happened suddenly, what can you do?
He has shown real sportsmanship, hrm?

You may also have noticed that the new Walther SSP has its rear sight easy changeable for the duel stage. This is a possibility they promote.
The rules permit it obviously.
Next step is to change the trigger unit.

Where will the line be drawn?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Reinhamre wrote:If the shooter take the initiative to control the trigger it may be difficult to disqualify him. If he claims that it happened suddenly, what can you do?
I don't really understand your question. Whether the shooter has adjusted it or it has happened by accident, if the jury inspects the gun during or at the end of the match and it doesn't lift the weight in the permitted 3 attempts then you will be disqualified.

I cannot think of any rule that says the shooter is not allowed to increase the weight of the trigger during the match.
macca6429

Trigger Question

Post by macca6429 »

David,
You are correct the athlete can change the trigger weight during the match but it must still comply with the minimum weight specified and checked during EC.
Remember EC is done by by persons who take the firearm from you and check the weight in accordance with rule 8.4.2.6.1 ".. with the test weight suspended near the middle of the trigger (see illustration)...". They never ask to see where the athlete places his finger the only time that the firearm is asked to be placed in the hand is when is when the EC officers are checking for violations to rules 8.4.1.1. and 8.4.2.1.1 as was often the case in Milan at the recent ISSF WC.
I have never seen a firearm produced by a reputable manufacturer, producing for the ISSF Competition market, that has ever had a trigger grove location that has not been accepted by EC officers at any WC.
With all due respect to all bopard members.
macca
BJ

Re: Trigger Question

Post by BJ »

macca6429 wrote:I have never seen a firearm produced by a reputable manufacturer, producing for the ISSF Competition market, that has ever had a trigger grove location that has not been accepted by EC officers at any WC.
Here Here,

I cannot see why a manufacturers pistol that has been deemed by EQ Jury to not meet the ISSF rules re. trigger check position cannot be named here so at least the readers of this forum know where they stand.
It should not be kept under Jury wraps till some poor individual is pulled up over it when he has not been made aware of it.
If theres a problem with a manufacturers trigger, let the ISSF publicly ban it, I'm sure a modified version would soon follow.
Name the offending pistols here, or leave the unsuspecting competitor alone.