Placement of the off-hand?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

Eccatfud wrote:... there is really no right or wrong location to put the off hand.
No wrong position? Try shooting with your left hand on your head, or for that matter pushed up the middle of your back.

The non-shooting arm can and does make a big difference because it can alter the whole dynamic of the upper torso, causing back muscles to be under tension when they should be loose etc.

While there is an element of "do what feels comfortable" in the position of the hand, it should never be on the hip or in the back pocket as I witnessed a shooter doing today. I prefer the side pocket but in winter when I have my shooting jacket on, I slip it into one of the horizontal pockets across the front of my waist.
Eccatfud

Post by Eccatfud »

ColinC wrote:
Eccatfud wrote:... there is really no right or wrong location to put the off hand.
No wrong position? Try shooting with your left hand on your head, or for that matter pushed up the middle of your back.

The non-shooting arm can and does make a big difference because it can alter the whole dynamic of the upper torso, causing back muscles to be under tension when they should be loose etc.

While there is an element of "do what feels comfortable" in the position of the hand, it should never be on the hip or in the back pocket as I witnessed a shooter doing today. I prefer the side pocket but in winter when I have my shooting jacket on, I slip it into one of the horizontal pockets across the front of my waist.
What is wrong for you is possibly right for someone else. If you put your hand on your head and shot a 10, wouldn't you try it again? If another 10 appeared, apparently that position is one that may work for you. I'll admit, that would be a little extreme, but it's just an example. There is no wrong or right way to shoot a 10, as long as you can shoot a 10 within the given rules of the discipline. Whatever works for you is what is right. It won't necessarily work for someone else.
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

One 10 doesn't win a match. Most shooters with a few years experience can shoot a 10 "almost on demand."
The big problem is being able to replicate that feat 60 times and that's where a good stance comes in (amnong other things of course).
No point having muscles fatigue later in the match and then have to use the lame excuse "I missed the record because of a few bad shots near the end."