Beginner Target

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

wrc

Post by wrc »

If you will be the only person around your area taking up .22 target shooting, and you are too far away to go to a club, or even just as a spectator to some matches (to Streator, let's say), then by all means buy a book or two to get started in the right direction. Order yourself "3 Position Shooting" by Pullum & Hahnenkrat, and the International Rifle Marksmanship Guide from the CMP or the US Army Marksmanship Unit. They are going to get you off to an excellent BASIC start. (wait with "Ways of the Rifle" until you get some range time in)

As already mentioned - going to Camp Perry would knock your socks off!
anschutzshooter

I live in central Illinois too...

Post by anschutzshooter »

I live in central Illinois as well. I know that Chillicothe has a range. I need to get into contact with them to shoot .22 also. Other than Chillicothe I can't think of another local range (besides Streator, but that's about 1 1/2 hours north of me). Umm...I'm not sure what town you live in, but Chillicothe would be a good place to start if it's close enough for you. Get ahold of Dean Martin and he'll probably hook you up. Oh, and trust me...it's more than possible to be competitive here. I've been shooting in the area for around 6 years (mainly air rifle). Let me know if you need anything.
mikeschroeder

Post by mikeschroeder »

Hi

You REALLY, REALLY need to go to a match and watch. If someone has equipment to borrow, you could shoot. Anyway, there is a LOT to be learned about the sport by watching. I watched one Conventional Pistol match before I bought a .45 and started attending.

Mike
Wichita KS