Purchase advice for beginner/intermediate

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
David Levene

Re: recoils absorbers make a difference

Post by David Levene »

utmarksmann wrote:The recoil absorbing/compensating devices for AP (FWB/Steyr) are very simple constructions. Pistons, driven by the propelling compressed air, slide inside a tube. There is some variability of these devices, and the variability increases with milage, apparently.

A less than perfect "absorber" will still make the gun print one hole groups from a vice, but groups fired from a human hand will open up some.
You may or may not be correct. To be perfectly honest I always thought they were an unnecessary complication on an air pistol so stuck to my CM162EI.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Yes, testing equipment precision in a tightly clamped rest is not an accurate way to estimate how it will perform in the human hand. It has been assumed for many years- and actually tested ocassionally- that it is however "close enough" of an approximation to not be worth the complexity of more accurate testing.

However, if you want to see the difference, the "more accurate" testing method involves the use of a pistol cradle attached to a pivot with a soft rubber clamp on the grip. A laser aiming device is attached to the pistol, as it is free to move in recoil and must be re-indexed for every shot. The equipment is then loaded, aimed, and fired as normal and the group size/characteristics will more closely represent the behavior of the firearm in a human hand.

Like I said- tested in the past; too much trouble to deal with the contraption and re-aiming process.

Especially for an air pistol where the characteristics of recoil response are not that critical?

Steve Swartz
kelly

Re: Purchase advice for beginner/intermediate

Post by kelly »

jbolyard
The key to shooting better is consistent practice. You state that are currently only using club guns so you are not dry firing or practicing at home. Any gun that will allow you to practice at home will improve your ability to do two things that are basic to any good shot. Release the trigger without disturbing the sight alignment and reduce your area of wobble.
jbolyard wrote:I began shooting a few months ago at my sportsmans club using the club's SAM K9's. I have progressed in about two months up to between Expert and Distinguished Expert on the NRA scale - I'm shooting 500-515.

I would like to participate in some competitions and continue my improvement as a 10M air pistol shooter - however I cannot use the club guns away at a competition - so I'm forced to purchase for myself if I want to compete.

My questions:

1) The only pistol I've used or have chance to use is these K9's. They weigh about 850g by my scale. Most full size guns I see are 1100g give or take and longer overall. Should I be working toward using one of these more "full sized" pistols - or should I limit my choices to the similarly sized ones available?

2) If I should stick with the lighter feel I'm familiar with - My research indicates my choices would be MG1 Light, Anshutz LP Junior, SAM K9, Morini 162 EI short. Is that it?

3) How do I choose between these with no opportunity to see, feel or shoot any?

4) Lastly - I'm going to have difficulty stretching my budget to buy one of these pistols - any advice on the "value" buy?

Thanks in advance!