Penny Dropping Moments

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
BothellBob

Post by BothellBob »

Strazzman, is that the official position from the man Down Under?

Just couldn't resist,
-Bob
My friend told me to take up golf. He said golf would teach me the lessons of humility. I told him I shot free pistol, so I had all the humility I could stand.
strazzman

Post by strazzman »

that is my position, you have got to enjoy the prematch routine as well as the sport itself
Denis

Post by Denis »

Strazzman,

I feel the position you have taken re. prematch limbering up should be recognised as a must in this most technical of sports!!
Benonymous

Good sex?

Post by Benonymous »

Gee, when I have good sex I want to sleep, not shoot :-)

I have found a lot of information on this thread very useful and I will attempt to incorporate it into my shooting. One aspect that I have seen touched on is "negative reinforcement" and I saw a perfect example at the range last week. the shooter was a couple of bays down from me. I have seen him at the club a few times but have never stood next to him before. As he was shooting he would go through his routine and after he had released his shot he would either say nothing (pleased) or admonish himself (displeased). I listened to him on and off and eventually he left the range having shot his requisite number of cards. As a beginner, I didn't feel like saying anything to him when I saw him off the range but I really wanted to :-P

Another snippet of information I picked up from an air rifle marksman. "Dont drink coffee before you shoot, it makes you wobble/jitter" Is anyone else familiar with this effect? How long does it take to wear off? Just to be on the safe side I'm going to avoid it on any day that I'm shooting, just drink water.
Fortitudo Dei

Re: caffine

Post by Fortitudo Dei »

Benonymous wrote: Another snippet of information I picked up from an air rifle marksman. "Dont drink coffee before you shoot, it makes you wobble/jitter" Is anyone else familiar with this effect? How long does it take to wear off? Just to be on the safe side I'm going to avoid it on any day that I'm shooting, just drink water.
Certainly caffeine can give you "the shakes" (and certainly having a coffee just before a match is foolish) BUT not having it when your body is used to it can be just as disruptive. A better thing to do is to slowly reduce your overall caffeine consumption down to a moderate level rather than going cold-turkey on the day of a big match.
I don't drink much coffee, but I do enjoy a cup of tea first thing in the morning. I used to not have any on the day of a big competition thinking it would help stabilise my hold. However I'd then shoot the match thinking "I'd kill for a cup of tea" rather than concentrating on matters at hand so I went back to having a morning cuppa. If you have a normal routine, it's better to stick with it rather than suddenly changing things on the day of a big match.