Newbie shooting question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
emre-nur

Re: Newbie shooting question

Post by emre-nur »

Gwhite wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:38 pm My first question is: Can you call your shots? If not, you aren't watching your sights.

At this stage, you should be able to call your shots within +/- 1 scoring ring, and 1 hour.
Hi,
Thanks for the feedback.
Can I call my shots?
Well, I know when it is a good one, but not in the precision of +/- 1 scoring ring, and 1 hour.
I am having difficulty in keeping focus on the sights.

As said to William, I should do more dry fire. However, I usually find myself not really concentrated while dry firing.
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

william wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:02 pm How much blank wall dry firing? What did you observe while doing it?
Hi,
Thanks for the comments.

I do dry firing more on the target, less on the blank wall.
Yet, even with the target, my dry fire hardly simulates a real shot. I usually find my self not concentrated like a real shot—just focussed on the trigger and maybe on the sights but not on all. When it comes to real shots, as I raise the pistol, a circus begins. I become much more hesitant to release the shot and the wobble just gets bigger and bigger.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

emre-nur wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:46 pm Hi,
Thanks for the feedback.
Can I call my shots?
Well, I know when it is a good one, but not in the precision of +/- 1 scoring ring, and 1 hour.
I am having difficulty in keeping focus on the sights.

As said to William, I should do more dry fire. However, I usually find myself not really concentrated while dry firing.
You may want to investigate getting a lens to help you focus on the sights. There are tons of options, depending on whether you shoot with no correction, prescription glasses, or contact lenses. The standard recommendation is to to add +0.75 diopter to your normal correction. This helps to bring the relaxed focus of your eye closer to the front sight.

Shooting air pistol well requires good concentration. If you just dabble at it, your progress will be very slow.
40xguy

Post by 40xguy »

I've never seen more answers to a question than this thread has !!! anyway, here's one more to add to your list:
https://starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongarts.html
Hope this helps you shoot your pistol better. Now if it doesn't, come on over to rifle shooting and try smallbore.
It's more equipment but something you might find fun and challenging
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

This is today in range.

Image Image

My coach was explaining another student of his ( who is a national shooter - missed his chance in national team by 1 pt ) - that I score low 90s to high 90s in the practice. And suck at tournament.
He said immediately "Anxiety Attack".
I guess I knew that.
10 M Air pistol : Walther LP 500 Basic | Earlier Hammerli AP 20 Pro.
Newbie shooting questions : http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63530
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

40xguy wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:48 am I've never seen more answers to a question than this thread has !!! anyway, here's one more to add to your list:
Hope this helps you shoot your pistol better. Now if it doesn't, come on over to rifle shooting and try smallbore.
Thank you! I can vouch that every piece of advice given by every individual here, has improved my shooting, demonstrably.
Till I get another panic attack then!
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

nmondal wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:15 am
40xguy wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:48 am I've never seen more answers to a question than this thread has !!! anyway, here's one more to add to your list:
Thank you! I can vouch that every piece of advice given by every individual here, has improved my shooting, demonstrably.
Till I get another panic attack then!
Indeed, this morning, concentrating on the sights and calling the shot—on Gwhite's advice— I shot 46 after a lousy 41.
Yes, the coaching by correspondence works :) Thanks Gwhite, William, Northpaw and all...

It is also a valuable vision about coaching, receiving advice from diverse perspectives and personalities. As I have no olympic aspirations, I would like to introduce this sport to young people (maybe to delinquents, immigrants or other disadvantaged strata). This may give me the chance of doing something meaningful after wasting 25 years in the university—writing papers that no one cared and teaching boring classes to unmotivated and spoiled kids.
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

nmondal wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:13 am This is today in range.

Image Image

My coach was explaining another student of his ( who is a national shooter - missed his chance in national team by 1 pt ) - that I score low 90s to high 90s in the practice. And suck at tournament.
He said immediately "Anxiety Attack".
I guess I knew that.
Doing well,

I guess you will qualify this year.
Anxiety, I understand well. The pistol seems to weigh a ton heavier even as I load a pellet after dry fire, let alone appearing before a crowd and competitors.

Btw, how do you find the recoil in LP500 basic? I did not have the chance to try other pistols but it seems like the absence of absorber makes a difference. Reading comments about Morini, Steyr, our LP500 basic seems to have a significant recoil. It is not as bad as Izzy 46M but still a recoil which makes follow through not so easy.
Rover

Post by Rover »

" LP500 basic seems to have a significant recoil."

NO air pistol has "significant recoil."

Use a firmer grip; it will also reduce those "flyers" from crap triggering.

If it really bothers you, use light pellets and turn down the power to 380 fps.
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

emre-nur wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:30 am
Btw, how do you find the recoil in LP500 basic? I did not have the chance to try other pistols but it seems like the absence of absorber makes a difference. Reading comments about Morini, Steyr, our LP500 basic seems to have a significant recoil. It is not as bad as Izzy 46M but still a recoil which makes follow through not so easy.
I shot Hammerli AP 20 Pro. I shot a lot Styr LP 10 ( those were the one I was learning before my Hammerli arrived ).
I can say.. not significantly different.

You are probably thinking - the guns barrel nose won't move at all during a shot.
I do not think that will ever happen, not in a hand anyways.
I might be wrong, but I am open for suggestions.
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

nmondal wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:23 pm
emre-nur wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 6:30 am
I shot Hammerli AP 20 Pro. I shot a lot Styr LP 10 ( those were the one I was learning before my Hammerli arrived ).
I can say.. not significantly different.

You are probably thinking - the guns barrel nose won't move at all during a shot.
I do not think that will ever happen, not in a hand anyways.
I might be wrong, but I am open for suggestions.
Thanks Rover and Nmondal. Now I know for sure. It's me, not you babe :)

Today, I worked on keeping the focus on the sight and calling the shot. I see the point, if you are not watching the sight, you are more or less a cowboy, hopefully hitting the black or...

I little by little understand the relation between watching the sight and knowing where you hit. Thanks to Gwhite.
nmondal

Lighting difference makes a difference?

Post by nmondal »

Today, I think I found out lighting difference make difference.
The grouping does not change - much - but the centre moves.
Today in range.
Image Image
Notice they moved to top left.
Also, on a happy note, my large SCBA cylinder is filled up with air now, so in case range gets closed, I can still get some air and practice!
Green_Canoe

Re: Lighting difference makes a difference?

Post by Green_Canoe »

nmondal wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:17 am Today, I think I found out lighting difference make difference.
The grouping does not change - much - but the centre moves.
Today in range.
Image Image
Notice they moved to top left.
Also, on a happy note, my large SCBA cylinder is filled up with air now, so in case range gets closed, I can still get some air and practice!
I briefly shot NRA High Power rifle about 20+ years ago. (Not well) I recall there were some guidelines on how to change the sights based on what the sun was doing so your shift caused by lighting changes doesn't surprise me.
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

First time passing 90 in a series of 30-40 shots. Others as ususal averaged around 85.

I could call the shots pretty accurately for 5,6 of them. One of the Xs, I thought was 8.

Image-1-8.jpg
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

emre-nur wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:26 pm First time passing 90 in a series of 30-40 shots. Others as ususal averaged around 85.

I could call the shots pretty accurately for 5,6 of them. One of the Xs, I thought was 8.

Image-1-8.jpg
Told you, you would come around. It is just matter of months now when you would start getting consistent 90s, and then 92s.
Then.. the real fun begins.
Next stop is getting consistent 95s.
Final stop is getting consistent 98s.
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

Thanks to all of you, every one of you, I am getting more and more consistent.
Today, at home.

We should not worry about the left stray 9X2s, cause turns out my sights needed adjustments.
Every idea you guys gave me were awesome, and it shows.
Thank you, thank you, thank you all!
Coaching in correspondence clearly works. Math works, Physics works. This is I think is more Engineering than anything.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

Getting the mechanics down is Step 1. Then comes the hard part, which is psychology & mental management...
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

Gwhite wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:31 am Getting the mechanics down is Step 1. Then comes the hard part, which is psychology & mental management...
Repeat. Repeat. Repeat....
:D
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

I must say that I thought: hmm “Newbie shooting question” - I’m sure I’ve read them all so didn’t open the thread. Then I saw the number of responses increasing and thought “what on earth can you keep saying about such a topic?”. Finally, unable to resist my curiosity, I sat down with my iPad and read through all 6 pages and am very glad that I did. There have been some real gems of advice given in the posts, things I never really put into words, especially the post from pbrejsa: “ It must be taken into account that what the eye sees is actually a history delayed by 0.1 to 0.3 seconds. Which is a completely fatal time period for a shot, especially for a fast-moving hand.”

Place trust in your sight picture and squeeze. It requires some effort.

I offer my thanks too to all the contributors, especially to the newbies for keeping the thread going. Good luck to you in your quests for regional, state and/or national selection or even just personal satisfaction - wherever your goal is set.

Bob
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

BobGee wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:41 pm
I offer my thanks too to all the contributors, especially to the newbies for keeping the thread going. Good luck to you in your quests for regional, state and/or national selection or even just personal satisfaction - wherever your goal is set.

Bob
Thanks Bob! Where I studied, they had a saying.
Once you have committed to cause, one should not even listen to oneself!
Onto the cause we all are.