Loading pellets

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

higginsdj

Loading pellets

Post by higginsdj »

Is there "technique" for loading pellets? (Steyr LP10) I just watched some ISSF TV and noted how quickly the 'pros' seem to be able to do it but I seem to be all thumbs and often have a real hard time doing it. (I just have normal sized fingers).

Cheers

David
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I just load mine in with my non shooting hand between thumb and finger, and seat the pellets in with the flat of my thumb. I've never noticed it being difficult to do in any way.

Rob.
HibouAttentif

loading pellets.

Post by HibouAttentif »

Could you be using a pellet which is too big??? Possibly your barrel likes 4.49 better than 4.50?

Denis
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Or you could trade in your Steyr for a FWB with tray/probe loading lol
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

LOL - I guess it will come with practise but at present it sometimes takes 10-15 seconds to load it. Maybe I need to try to improve the dexterity/flexibility of my fingers.

Cheers

David
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

From your other posts I believe you just got this gun, if that's the case with a little practice and getting use to it you will be loading just as fast as everyone eles.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

I had trouble with my big fingers fitting in the small area of my Morini. I find the pellets are uncomfortably small to hold.
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

I also had trouble with my Morini, when I first got it. An occasional pellet would enter the chamber backwards. I agonized about how to remove it, especially during a match, and wound up cutting a length of 1/16" #360SS welding rod, and polishing the end, so it wouldn't scratch the bore. Someone told me, that at 10M, they shoot just about as well forward or backward. Didn't believe it until I tried it with the gun clamped in my milling machine vise. He was right, and I no longer worry about accidentally loading one backwards.
I load from one of those pop-up loading blocks, and have developed a method of holding the pellets (lay each one down on the bench and pick it up between my thumb and fore finger, with the front pointing toward my pinkie), that allows easy loading with my clumsy 69yr. old fingers. I'm sure, you will also, with time.
Paul
Slowstdy

Post by Slowstdy »

A knitting needle is way better than a welding rod, and cheeper, buy one, get one free....LOL. You can then give one to your mate for christmas.
Limey.
Spencer

Re: Loading pellets

Post by Spencer »

higginsdj wrote:Is there "technique" for loading pellets? (Steyr LP10) I just watched some ISSF TV and noted how quickly the 'pros' seem to be able to do it but I seem to be all thumbs and often have a real hard time doing it. (I just have normal sized fingers).

Cheers

David
if you think the LP10 is difficult, I will bring my old AirMatch 600 the next time I go to a shoot in Canberra!!!
but all these things get 'easier' with practice - no doubt you will soon wonder why it seemed difficult.

Spencer
higginsdj

Post by higginsdj »

Spencer, are you coming down for the 'deferred' ACT championships in January?

Cheers

David
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

unfortunately that clashes with the Australian Youth Olympics shooting at SISC

Spencer