X barrelled Anschutz

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Environs

X barrelled Anschutz

Post by Environs »

Hi
Was wondering if anyone can shed light on "X Barrelled Anshutz" I read on another website a guy mentioning X barrelled Anschutz, that there are top factory selected barrels on Anshutz Rifles have a X either before or after the serial number. Is this for real or urban myth.
Cheers
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

What the x barrel means is that when ans is testing the barrels for groups and they find one that is groups super well they put an x on the serial number. They dont do this as much but they still do them but its very rare.

But this is just what i have been told in the past.
TWP

Post by TWP »

The only X marked Anschutz Rifles I've seen were the old 16xx series.

My daughter uses a 1607 X barreled action in a 1613 stock.

I shoots good, but I can't tell any difference between it and the modern guns when fired from a machine rest with ammo they like.

I think most of the X mystique is fairy tail stuff.

Post by Guest »

The X just means it passed inspection. No extra accurate self guided mystery barrels.
Kiwi bob

Post by Kiwi bob »

I also have a 1607 and I was informed that the 16 series was an intrerim model and all the serial numbers end in an X. A few of the more informed shooters that I have discussed this with all claim that the barrels were some of the best produced by Anschutz.
My rifle in the test bench shoots very tight groups using Eley Match EPS.
Regards Kiwi Bob
1813benny

Re: X barrelled Anschutz

Post by 1813benny »

Environs wrote:Hi
Was wondering if anyone can shed light on "X Barrelled Anshutz" I read on another website a guy mentioning X barrelled Anschutz, that there are top factory selected barrels on Anshutz Rifles have a X either before or after the serial number. Is this for real or urban myth.
Cheers
Urban myth.

If the the "x" actions were so great, then Wigger would have 2 of them..not just one.
Environs

X barrelled Anschutz

Post by Environs »

To Guest who suggested that X means it was tested. I have a 1413, a 1807 & a 1813 none have an X does that mean they werent tested or failed testing. Having said that the 1807 shoots a 10mm group at 50m.
Thanks all for your comments.
ADC59

Post by ADC59 »

I think this is an Urban Myth. As stated above, all of the 1600 series Anschutz rifles have an "X" at the end of the serial #. The 1600 series rifle was the transitional model between the 1400 and 1800 models.

This serial number featuremay have become combined with a statement in "Ways of the Rifle". On page 188, WOTR states: "Old rifles from the 70s and early 80s were built of higher quality steel. Special fame is accorded to the Anschutz barrels with serial numbers between 16xxxx and 19xxxx."

I think most of the 1600 series serial numbers fall in this range.

Alan Carey
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

Ditto to what 1813benny and ADC said. This is how they marked the transition 1600 series guns. I have had 4 or 5 of them and all were marked this way. Nothing particularly special about them.