Hammerli 280 vs SP20

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
GVJOHN

Hammerli 280 vs SP20

Post by GVJOHN »

I am in the market for a .22 standard pistol. I want a Hammerli, but don't like the grip angle of the 208/215 models. It seems the same as a S&W 41. From time to time I see 280s for sale used and SP20s are still in production (I think). I'm leaning toward a 280, but am wondering why the pistol was discontinued and replaced by the SP20 after just a few years. I would appreciate any comments from owners, good and bad.

Thanks
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

The big problem with older Hammerli's is parts they are becoming very scarce. Hammerli is no owned by Walther, I question how long they will support multiple models in there product line up. Just somethings to be aware of.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Just my opinion, but I think the 280 was a lot more expensive to manufacture. Maybe Hammerli was looking to cut costs with the SP20. I sorta remember the 280 cost more than the 208s in the beginning. I use to have old sales flyers from Miller's Hammerli but threw them out a couple of years ago. My wife has a complete .22 and .32 and they have been fine.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

I think the 280 was extremely cheap to produce in the final years (and it ran for about 10 years), but due to the molds for the carbon parts being VERY expensive, there was no good way to modify the design in any relevant way. The SP20 is basically a 280 made from alu. Personally, I'd go for a late series 280 (if there was only the choice between the 280 and the SP20), there are far fewer problems reported with them, and the most important spares (buffers, mag, firing pins) can still be bought. If you just like the basic layout of the 280/SP20, have a look at the Tesro - it's more or less a Hammerli, but with some nice addons, especially regarding the grip options.
GVJOHN

Post by GVJOHN »

Thanks to everyone. I've taken Tycho's advice and I'm going with a late model 280.
jbshooter

Post by jbshooter »

Excellent choice....