ISSF 2009 Rules

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Here's one from the new rules for those who like to mark their foot position with chalk:-

It is prohibited to put any substance on the floor of the Firing Point.
It is prohibited to wipe the firing point without permission.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

That is fantastic, whilst it is illegal to mark the floor of the firing point but if you do no-one can wipe it off without permission - hilarious.

I hope you all wear shoes with non-marking soles and that there is no dust around for leaving footprints in.

It is all gettting a bit over the top really.

Mike
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Make sure you don't spill or drip any water or drop a pellet.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

So I have to put my feet between the empty cartridge cases of my fellow competitors without disturbing them? They've got to be joking - all that tie-wearing must have impaired the blood flow to the head...
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »

I'm going to Rio de Janeiro for the Brazilian championships next friday. Maybe I should take a coat and tie along...maybe it became mandatory, who knows...maybe bermuda shorts and T-shirt is not "proper dress".

(actually the place is quite cold. Some 80 10m posts with freezing air conditioning)
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Mikey wrote:
That is fantastic, whilst it is illegal to mark the floor of the firing point but if you do no-one can wipe it off without permission - hilarious.
I find it hard to believe that this rule was brought in just to stop chalk marking; it must be aimed at something else. I just can't think what else they might be trying to stop.
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »

Maybe they don't want anybody with theirs butts in the air, drawing on the floor...certainly less elegant than the "tacky picture" that roused such a debate...
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

How about spilling (intentionally) some full powered coca-cola or some other sugar-filled drink on a floor that is (or might be) slippery, so that when it dries it does become sticky enough to keep the shoes from slipping?

I have seen it done!
Last edited by Marcus on Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

BTW,

No one seems to have mentioned the rules concerning shoot-offs for those tied to make finals. That seems alot more interesting to discuss.

It appears that if you are tied, regardless of the rules for regular tie breaking, and you might qualify for the final but the scores are tied with other shooters, there is a five shot shoot-off apparently shot after a five minute preparation and sighting period. Have I read this correctly? Rule 6.14 and all its parts.

This sounds like shotgun and is more to support the exciting mano-on mano sport conflict that issf would like to show-off. But we had this in the Olympics in the women's trap event and we didn't see it on TV or the internet.

What do you think?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Marcus wrote:No one seems to have mentioned the rules concerning shoot-offs for those tied to make finals. That seems alot more interesting to discuss.
This seems like a good idea to me. It removes the possibility of someone being denied the chance to compete for a medal by the drawing of lots in the classification office (7.12.2.5.1 and 8.12.2.5.1 in the 2005 rules).
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Marcus wrote:How about spilling (intentionally) some full powered coca-cola or some other sugar-filled drink on a floor that is (or might be) slippery, so that when it dries it does become sticky enough to keep the shoes from slipping?

I have seen it done!
BINGO!!!!

Likewise the "wipe the firing point" (with a cola soaked rag).

It is amazing how a few (dare I say it, 'rifle') shooters can make it difficult for everybody.

Spencer
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Spencer wrote:
Marcus wrote:How about spilling (intentionally) some full powered coca-cola or some other sugar-filled drink on a floor that is (or might be) slippery, so that when it dries it does become sticky enough to keep the shoes from slipping?

I have seen it done!
BINGO!!!!

It is amazing how a few (dare I say it, 'rifle') shooters can make it difficult for everybody.
Thanks Marcus and Spencer, I should have thought of that.

(The only time I ever spill Coca-Cola is when I've had too much of the drink I'm supposed to be mixing it with.)

So what's your opinion Spencer? Will chalk (and tape) be banned for marking your foot position. I suppose there's always the chance that someone would use a sticky type of (look-alike) chalk. As you said, a few make it difficult for everybody.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

My understanding is that rule 6.3.6.3.5 is INTENDED to stop shooters 'modifying' the floor surface - how it will be interpreted and applied will be up to the Juries at ISSF Championships.
One lives in hope that common sense will prevail.

Spencer
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »

Spencer wrote:My understanding is that rule 6.3.6.3.5 is INTENDED to stop shooters 'modifying' the floor surface - how it will be interpreted and applied will be up to the Juries at ISSF Championships.
One lives in hope that common sense will prevail.

Spencer
Common sense is not so common anymore...hard to find ;-)
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

jacques b gros wrote:I'm going to Rio de Janeiro for the Brazilian championships next friday. Maybe I should take a coat and tie along...maybe it became mandatory, who knows...maybe bermuda shorts and T-shirt is not "proper dress".

(actually the place is quite cold. Some 80 10m posts with freezing air conditioning)
love that Rio 10m air conditioning

Spencer
Attachments
Rio ductwork
Rio ductwork
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »

Maybe should take along a coat I bought in Toronto...

I've never been to the National Sports Shooting Center in Rio, it was built for the Pan American games and at that time I was just returning to the sport.

Will keep you informed about the air conditioning...
Alexander

Post by Alexander »

Richard H wrote:Well it has been under siege in many European countries including Germany. Basically it hangs on a string in many countries, and is just waiting for a knee jerk reaction to some unfortunate incident. I'm sure some of our European friends can chime in and give us some first hand accounts as to how things have changed in their countries in the last 20 years or so.
Actually the contrary is true as to Germany. The new firearms law of 1st April 2003 - while even more complicated and convoluted than its predecessor - brought significant improvements for sportive shooters and esp. their federations. It has made firearms acquisition definitely more easy, and has curtailed whimsical administrative discretion.

Alexander
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Glad to hear. What were the improvements? When I was there in 2006 the shooters didn't sound overly happy with the changes. The only thing that I remember them complaining about was that you could no longer store them at home and they had to be stored at clubs, which had to install secured storage.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Spencer wrote:
BINGO!!!!

Spencer[/quote]

What, is the sticky floor to stop them being thrown back by the ferocious recoil that the .22lr produces when fired from one of those light 3P rifle?

Sounds like table tennis having to test the bats for stickyness as the players started putting sticky glue on them to get more spin on the ball.

I once stepped in chewing gum on the way to an AP match. During the match I rolled my foot back and forth a lot making a 'sticky' noise each time. After the match one of my teammates who was shooting about 10 bays away complained that the noise put him off!

So, the next thing will be the soles of our shoes being tested for stickyness...
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

there just might be one or two ranges where the floor at the firing point is so slippery that rifle shooters feet start slipping apart...

Spencer