Mid-level starter rifle?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

kadgarth

Mid-level starter rifle?

Post by kadgarth »

I used to shoot competition air rifle in high school. Since graduating I've spent the past three years or so in the US Army. I'd like to try and get back into competition shooting. I don't have any aspirations of going to the Olympics or anything, but I really do enjoy shooting so I thought I'd get back into it.

I'm trying to figure out what Rifle to purchase. While I drool everytime I see a 8002 I just can't justify spending $2500 on is essentially a hobby.

If anyone could give me advice on a good rifle around $1,000 I would be most appreciative. One such rifle I've come across is the "Air Arms S400", but I can't find any definitive reviews on it.

Any thoughts or ideas on the aforementioned rifle, or perhaps a better rifle, would be taken graciously.

Thank you :)
azuaro

Post by azuaro »

Kadgarth,

My humble advice would be to buy a used rifle, get the 8002 or a FWB 700 Basic; this later one is IDENTICAL to the 700 aluminum or to the 700 Universal and the difference relies just in the stock; I have both the Basic and the Aluminum so I know this for a fact....

Also consider Walther and Steyr... all of these mentioned rifles are excellent, nice looking, reliable and very well made.

These guns are very seldom found worn in the used market and the maintenance/refurbishing of the seals and 'O" rings is a pretty easy task, this will bring the gun to factory new specs.

I sincerely think that is better to buy a used Mercedes than a brand new Khia (no offense to khia owners) and with the world economic crisis that we are living in, there will be plenty of used guns on the market.

Do your homework and take your time in making a wise decision....

Best regards,

AZUARO
Flathead Lake, MT
Misny

Post by Misny »

If you want to go compressed air, you might look at the CMP website. They usually sell the Anshutz 8002 for $1500. You can see it here:http://www.thecmp.org/airrifles.htm

You might also look at the Walther. A fellow club member coaches a junior team and they have these and like them. You can see them here:http://www.champchoice.com/detail.php?item=2730383

If you go the compressed air route, you will have to either get a pump or scuba tank, K valve, and adapter. That will add a couple of hundred bucks to the total package.

I just started air rifle. I put out the word and found a used FWB 601 locally with a couple of minor cosmetic issues. It cost me substantially less than the $1,000 you have budgeted. On the down side, I have to cock the gun for every shot, but the gun shoots very accurately.

Don't forget your other accessories, like shooting jacket, glove, spotting scope, scope stand(s), pellet holder and rifle rest. You might also add shooting boots and pants, if you really want all the advantages.
Quest1

CMP Price

Post by Quest1 »

Misny wrote:If you want to go compressed air, you might look at the CMP website. They usually sell the Anshutz 8002 for $1500. You can see it here:http://www.thecmp.org/airrifles.htm
The last I heard the price for the new 8002 is $1900 at CMP. The Euro and dollar is fluctuating so much that they won't even post a price.
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

The AA S400 is a very good rifle, but I think it's aimed more at the air rifle hunting market and the hunter field target/field target competition markets. For formal 10m AR, go with the mainstream makes that are designed for 10m precision target shooting - Anschutz/FWB/Walther/Steyr.
kadgarth

Post by kadgarth »

Thanks for all the help guys :)

I've narrowed down my choices between the LG300 and the FWB 601. I'm gonna check around and see what kind of prices I can get on them used.
Bowman26

Post by Bowman26 »

I have the AA S400ERB and I use it for FT and Silhouette with a bit of hunting. I also have a 10m Steyr LG1 SSP that I use for silhouette. The Steyr 10m rifle is the more accurate adjustable of the two but I would not give up either.

Even though you have to pump them once the SSP 10m rifles are a breeze to cock and I find myself reaching for it before my PCP rifles many times. The trigger on the target rifles is not to be beat by the S400 while good its no comparison to true match trigger feel.

The newer PCP 10m rifles are pricey but you get a lot of shots per fill compared to an S400 as well. Most 10m PCPs get 150-200 shots where as the S400 might give you 60 or so on the lowest power setting.

Careful if you find a FWB 600 as I have read they had linkage problems the 601 onward are ok I believe. Look for used rifles. A friend got a Anschutz 2002 SSP off Gun Broker a few weeks ago for $900 but a quick buy it now could have had it for $800. So deals are out there.

Bo
robf

Re: Mid-level starter rifle?

Post by robf »

kadgarth wrote:
I'm trying to figure out what Rifle to purchase. While I drool everytime I see a 8002 I just can't justify spending $2500 on is essentially a hobby.
Oh just give it time, you will probably :D

If the LG300 is the walther, then it will probably serve you better than a 601 in that it will save you cocking. However, if your just getting into it, it will be a long time before that will be affecting your scores.