TOZ-35 extraction problem

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Noel

TOZ-35 extraction problem

Post by Noel »

Sorry if this is a repeat, but I've done the search...

Essentially, my TOZ (older one, not the "M") works perfectly but does not fully extract/eject regardless of ammunition. (Have so far tried Eley Club, RWS Rifle Target, and an old lot of PMC Scoremaster). The ejector pulls the cases halfway out of the chamber at most, and I have to use a fingernail to pull it the rest of the way out -- which sometimes takes a fair amount of force. I've tried brushing the chamber, which didn't make a noticeable difference.

So is this a common "problem" with the TOZ and something I should put up with, or...?
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Mine too. Obtained used, but it's done little work, with no evidence of extractor wear or damage. Must get around to seeing what the problem is.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

I sometimes have this problem but only if its not clean. mine has been converted to a top loader
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

If the extractor isn't slipping off the shell rim, wear isn't the problem. These extractors eject the shell, as they are struck by the smart downward movement of the breech block, as the striker is re-cocked. Opening the action after the mainspring is released, should cause the breech block to snap down as the striker spring(mainspring) cocks, striking the horizontal arm of the extractor, swinging it back.
Paul
Noel

Post by Noel »

Well, the extractor seems pretty "snappy" to me, and the mechanism is clean. Of course, I don't have anything with which to compare, so what seems snappy to me might seem pretty weak to someone with experience. It will fling a dummy round several feet from the gun, FWIW. It just seems like the chamber is very tight and the little cases just don't build up enough momentum to clear the gun.

I've gone back and brushed the chamber thoroughly, using solvent this time. We'll see...
jsealc21

Post by jsealc21 »

If the pistol has ever been fired without an empty case in the chamber,the firing pin will leave a good burr on the bottom edge of the chamber. This can cause extraction problems. Examine the newly fired case forlongitudinal scratches...this could show the location of the problem.I had to reshape and polish the rim recess of the chamber to fix the problem.
Noel

Post by Noel »

Interesting. How did you do the job?
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

Is wour toz in standard form as mine is a top loader but i would love to fix the ejection problems
Noel

Post by Noel »

I guess I don't know what a "top loader" is. I was under the impression that they were all falling block actions, with the only variation being the placement of the lever.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

that is correct it is just the lever to load it on the top not under the grip
Noel

Post by Noel »

Ah. Mine's just the standard version. I definitely need to look into the chamber/dry fire deal. I know mine's been dry-fired...
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

Don't know why anyone would deliberately cock the striker when dry firing, when all you've got to do is set the trigger. One may not know how to un-cock the gun before putting it away without "firing" it. For those that don't, you set the trigger, open the action about half way, and while holding it, pull the trigger. The cocking lever will then swing closed. An uncocked gun will have spring pressure holding the operating lever closed. If it is loose, the gun is still cocked. My apologies to those to whom this is second nature, there may be a few new shooters reading these posts.
Paul

Post by Guest »

Noel wrote:Interesting. How did you do the job?
the "rim" area of the chamber was quite damaged. I peened the worst of it using a delicate punch,then polished using a plastic rod with emery cloth,to restore the original profile...slowly does it !!!!!
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

FWIW, have now done a little investigating of the poor extraction...

The extractor claw is designed to pull, or, rather, flick the case back only a few mm. The case should have enough momentum to clear the breech, after this 'flick'. There's nothing wrong with the flicking mechanism or the extractor claw shape, so it's the friction between the case and the chamber that's causing the problem, at least in my case.

I will try different ammo, and also lightly lubricate the cases, to see if this helps.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

a lot of cheap shit ammo will eject all day long, as it often isnt quiet as tight in the breach but id rather pull it out by hand
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Update...

Extraction still not good with different ammo and case lubrication. Closer look shows fairly deep peening of breech face from firing pin. I guess the previous owner just closed the breech and pulled the trigger when he put the gun to bed, instead of releasing the firing pin spring with the breech open. Not sure how much this peening may have deformed the chamber, if at all. I can live with the incomplete extraction...

Post by Guest »

Shooting Kiwi wrote:Update...

Extraction still not good with different ammo and case lubrication. Closer look shows fairly deep peening of breech face from firing pin. I guess the previous owner just closed the breech and pulled the trigger when he put the gun to bed, instead of releasing the firing pin spring with the breech open. Not sure how much this peening may have deformed the chamber, if at all. I can live with the incomplete extraction...
shooting kiwi,it's Jonathan (also jsealc21)...look above at my "guest" post It is really easy to fix...good luck
Fred Mannis

Chamber Repair

Post by Fred Mannis »

Brownells sells a tool designed to repair chambers with this problem. Reasonable price and will probably save you hours of work with makeshift punches, etc

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store ... 869&st=&s=
jsealc21

Re: Chamber Repair

Post by jsealc21 »

Fred Mannis wrote:Brownells sells a tool designed to repair chambers with this problem. Reasonable price and will probably save you hours of work with makeshift punches, etc

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store ... 869&st=&s=

thanks Fred , that looks like it would work great !!!
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Thanks Jonathan & Fred.

Lack of time, plus my natural indolence, has prevented a concerted attack on the TOZ. Only the face of the breech seemed to have been deformed by the firing pin: no burr deforming the chamber, as far as a quick eyeballing could tell, but I'm aware that it could be a little out-of-round as a result. When energy levels improve and free time materialises, I'll get out my metrology equipment and give the thing a good going over. However, every cloud, etc... At least I don't have to go grovelling around on the floor to pick up the brass. I think I might just leave it as it is!