FWB 65 problem with recoilless mechanism

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
hdoan

Post by hdoan »

After I changed out the piston damper and the breech seal, I couldn't close the compression chamber slide completely. I tried to cocked the pistol and dry fired it couple times with the nozzle pointing down, I was able to lock the compression chamber slide completely and was able to shoot. However, the gun starts losing the recoilless damping effect. Does anyone know what is probably wrong with my gun?

Regards,

Hiep
azuaro

Post by azuaro »

Dear Hiep,

Did you have this problem before you took the gun apart and replaced the seal and piston damper?

If not, then first make sure that the breech seal is about flat with the action and not portruded, if it is portruded then maybe it is not installed properly and needs to go in a little more or there might be residues from the old seal that are preventing it from going in all the way in.

Make sure that the piston damper is also all the way in...

If you still have this problem, then you may have something stucked in the recoilless mechanism...Check this with good light and a magnifier.

These are very simple and trouble free guns and you should be able to get it back in order....Good luck!

Best Regards,

AZUARO
Flathead Lake, MT
hdoan

Post by hdoan »

Thanks, Azuaro for your response. My gun was working perfectly, smooth and no recoil at all, except for the piston damper was worn out and deteriorate and the same with the breech seal. These looked very simple to replace, and I replaced those with no problems at all. The only thing that might have happened was that I had to cocked the gun and left it cocked for a while when I was working on the pistol. After this simple replacement, the pistol would not close completely and problem occurs ever since.

Regards,

Hiep
hdoan

Post by hdoan »

Oh, one more thing; does the piston damper have to go all the way in? My piston damper has a little head protruding about 1/8". I thought this is as far as it can go in. Am I correct? or should I try to push it in some more?

Thanks,

Hiep
azuaro

Post by azuaro »

Hi Hdoan,

What does the gun do without the damper?

Let me explain what I mean: remove the damper and hold the cocking lever at the back (cocked position) and while pressing the trigger slowly release the lever to close the gun and release the spring tension...Does it fully close without the piston damper?

If it does...Then reinstall the damper and make sure that it is in the right direction and fully inserted...

This is a link for the manual and exploded view of your gun...
http://www.pilkguns.com/tenp/fwb65ex.htm

Check the assembly - disassembly procedure looking at the exploded view and see if this shows something different from your gun...

Please let me know where you are at...

Regards,

AZUARO
FLATHEAD LAKE, MT
hdoan

Post by hdoan »

Hi Azuaro,

I don't have any problem closing the compression chamber with the damper in place anymore; however, the problem that I'm having now is that my gun is losing the recoilless damping effect now. It jerks when firing as if you have installed the recoil lock screw to have recoil effect. This really screwed up the point of impact.

Thanks for helping me Azuaro, I really appreciated.

Hiep
azuaro

Post by azuaro »

Hi again Hdoan,

Only 3 things can cause this recoil that you mention:
1. The recoil lock screw
2. The recoil guide in the front part of the gun and
3. The recoil guide in the rear part of the gun located above the grips in the frame behind the trigger.

Most likely is going to be #2 ...Check that it is not acting as if the recoil lock screw was set.

Please let me know ...

Best Regards,

AZUARO
Flathead Lake, MT
hdoan

Post by hdoan »

Hi Azuaro,

You are absolutely right. I mixed up the screws when I assembled back the gun. I put the longer screw in the front and the shorter one in the back. Silly me. Now the longer screw is bent, I will have to find a replacement. I will have to order it from Beeman.

I am so lucky that I have you to help me out. I really appreciated.

Best regards,

Hiep
azuaro

Post by azuaro »

Hello hdoan,

It is good to hear that you found and resolved the problem...A cheap mistake that we all do.

Don't worry, the important thing it to learn from our own mistakes...

If I ever wrote a diary of mine, I would have a full library! Ha, ha, ha!...

I am supposed to be a Mechanical Engineer with no record of "Mechanical" mistakes but I have to cope with the opposite!! and MIT doesn't offer extended warranty for their engineering programs (graduated back in 1972) ...Ha, ha, ha!!

Have a good one...And again, I am glad to hear that you are back in business...

Best Regards,

AZUARO
Flathead Lake, MT
hdoan

Post by hdoan »

Thanks again, Azuaro.

I don't feel too bad because mechanical engineering is not my field. I am Electrical & Electronics Engineer. Good excuse Ha?
Good thing that this gun doesn't have any electronic components in it, I'd probably screw it up more...

Hiep
azuaro

Post by azuaro »

Oh Man!...You have to be kidding me!

I had a Model 90 which is the 65 with an electronic trigger that I needed to return to FWB because I could not fix it ... After all, I am a Mechanical Engineer and not and Electric/Electronics one! ...Touché! ...ha, ha, ha!

Honestly, the electronic trigger malfunctioned after probably 100 shots and I could not find the problem, the gun was brand new and FWB sent me a brand new gun with no questions asked...All I paid was one way shipping and this is one of the reasons why I stuck with this brand.

The gun remained new until I sold 1-2 years ago, it was too long for me and I never got used to it. I kept my 65 and Mod 2.

Happy Thanksgiving day...

Best Regards,

AZUARO
Flathead Lake, MT
hdoan

Post by hdoan »

Azuaro,

Since we have a lot of things in common, I really want to keep in touch with you to share ideas, and especially for me to learn and "pick" your brain about FWB pistols. I have just tested my FWB 65 pistol again, and it shoots perfectly, smooth and no recoil at all like it was before. I'm so happy and in love with Feinwerkbau products.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family,

Hiep
Roseville, CA
azuaro

Post by azuaro »

Absolutely...Please email me at: azuaro@icehouse.net