RF design for turning targets at 50 feet?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
IPshooter

RF design for turning targets at 50 feet?

Post by IPshooter »

We have an opportunity to shoot RF on our indoor range at 50 feet. We have the Target Timer to support it.

My question is has anyone built a simple but effective set of turners for 50 feet, which meets the .3 sec turning standard, using either electric motors or compressed air?

Also, our set up would have to be portable as it would only be set up for practice and matches. And, we would have to build it out of PVC.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd like to see them.

TIA

Stan
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

Although you haven't asked about an electric solenoid type, I'd like to offer one as something to review. I also have other DIY systems on my site, but none of the others are fast enough for Rapid Fire. They might however, provide info for construction ideas. Here's a link to the Rapid Bay:

Arvada Rapid Fire Target Bay

Take Care,
Ed Hall
Air Force Shooting Homepage
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things
rapid fan

Post by rapid fan »

Why not just save a boat load of time and money and just use a shot timer (like a Pact or CED brand) and pre-program start and stop beeps? Some even have inputs and outputs to trigger a light so you have a visual start and stop signal too.

Sure, you might have to run only one shooter at a time in order to accurately record overtime shots, but most folks don't have room for more than a couple bays anyway.
azuaro

Post by azuaro »

Hello IPshooter,

There is nothing like the real thing when talking about turning targets for shooting rapid fire...

I built this machine that operates with air and I also use the Target Timer Controller with voice commands, I looked for the Gehmann commercial brand but could not find it in the US...I later shot the Rika LP5 in Europe and it works fine but it is very finiky ...

Since I needed a Very Heavy Duty & Reliable machine and couldn't find one, I then had no option but to manufacture my own.

My machine is 100% Stainless Steel for durability and weather resistance, this machine works like a swiss watch....For looks, I powdercoated it with metallic silver paint and the targets turn on SS bearings; the mechanism uses self lubricated bronze bushings.

The machine was designed with Olympic measurements for 10 Meters because I use it indoors for shooting with air; I needed to downsize the 25 M targets for using it with .22 LR also at 10 meters.

I use it for shooting my FWB 56 Rapid Fire Air pistol and also for the .22 Rim Fire Pardini SP1 RF (at home).

It is usually outside during the summer (covered with a grill cover when not using it) and it is currently inside the house for air shooting with my FWB 56 during the winter.

LOTS OF FUN!!!!

Please find some pictures taken before powdercoating it....

Best Regards,

AZUARO
Flathead Lake, MT
Attachments
targetturner2 (3).JPG
targetturner2 (2).JPG
targetturner2.JPG
e076085

AZUARO-do you sell the plans or kits?

Post by e076085 »

I've seen photos of these SS target frames elsewhere and it impressed me! I'd be real interested in a "kit" for 10m if I could also get a source of targets. Seems like the RF 10m targets are hard to find.

Any interest in selling a kit? I have access to a machine shop but the welding part would be out of my skill set.

My email: tundratim@cox.net

I'm real interested-you appear to have a high quality sense about your design being a mech engr in Aerospace, I have a special sense for quality.

Thanks.
azuaro

Post by azuaro »

Hi members,

There are quite a few options for making these machines...This is a link from a guy in Spain who built one very cheaply:
http://tiroalcorcon.com/pena.htm

Also:
http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/ (look in other projects)...Ed Hall is very nice and helpful.

Best regards,

AZUARO
Flathead Lake, MT