Floating groups.

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

thruxtoncamshaft

Floating groups.

Post by thruxtoncamshaft »

While shooting air pistol I have recently noticed that the groups I shoot,while being fairly tight, seem to float around (high,low, left, right) The groups dont drift far but i'd like 10s instead of 9s.I can just about hold the 9 ring, 1 or 2 floaters in the 8, Pb is 560. I use a Pardini P10. Any thoughts greatfully recieved. Thruxton. Ps I shoot 5/10 on a card at practice.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Does the same thing happen when shooting groups against a blank card?
jackh

Post by jackh »

I have shot good test groups with an arm rested but free wrist with 22s. Group placement can still vary despite everything seemingly ideal. Shoot a good group this way, put the gun down to load up another magazine, take up the gun again with arm rested, the group is still good but often moved. There is something changed in the grip that can affect the group
aross007

Post by aross007 »

I third the report - I've blamed it on lack of experience/self awareness. I go from tight group on one target to loose group on the next, which I blame on concentration (lack thereof.) But I usually have no explanation for tight groups where the center of the group moves around the nine ring, seemingly at random. I did shoot two groups today with my flintlock pistol, where one was centered on the 8-9 ring boundry, and the next was three X's and 2 10's - the only thing I did consiously different was to slide my trigger finger about 1/8 in. off the trigger - maybe that's it!?!? now can I just remember to do it again.

Alan