Near-sighted young shooter

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Near-sighted young shooter

Post by Guest »

I have a young shooter who is trying rifle marksmanship for his first time. He is quite nearsighted and needs special glasses to get around. These glasses make it hard to see the bull due to distortion around the rim of the lens near his frames. I know I could suggest a special shooting frame for him, but besides the cost to his parents there is an issue of eye protection. Our range requires full eye protection and adjustable shooting frames seem to offer limited protection. Has anyone else had these kinds of problems?
GaryN

Post by GaryN »

He could have glasses made with the prescription for his sights in the aiming eye. The important thing is if the lab can put the optical center offset to the upper left where his eye would be looking through to look through the sights.

And alternative is what I do. I have a somewhat similar situation, not as bad. My solution was to put my sights on risers and cant the rifle over to the left, and keep my head as upright as possible, so I am not looking out the top left corner of my glasses. The combination of sight risers, canting the rifle, and keeping my head upright lets me look through the center area of my glasses rather than the upper left corner.

If you use a regular glasses frame, he has to work with the optician to locate the correct optical center of the lens. This will likely require him to bring the rifle into the office. Better talk to the optician about that first.
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

Contact lenses!

Some purists raise a few issues about shooting with contacts, but these are small-order effects, particularly compared to his current problems.

Should be able to get some soft lenses from an optometrist on a trial basis for free. Unless he's also badly astigmatic, he will probably find he gets better correction than with his spectacles (although the prescription for shooting will be different from 'general' use.
WRC

Post by WRC »

Use medical tape - take a piece, wrap it around the nose bridge (the connection between the two lenses) and pull up to tape the glasses higher on his forehead. A former champion does that locally. Looks a bit funny, but keeps normal glasses in a better focus spot for aiming. PL