Your thoughts on a new hook/buttplate?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

nirvanaisanx

Your thoughts on a new hook/buttplate?

Post by nirvanaisanx »

Hi All,

I am looking to replace my older Anschutz 1900 series model hook buttplate with a more updated version. There just seems to be so many more choices available now then I remember when I purchased the one I have. The newer butt plate will most likely be placed on a Grunig stock.

I don't want to simply purchase a newer Anschutz model without researching the alternatives which look great. I have seen the MEC, Grunig and Anschutz offerings online but haven't been able to try them out. I'm looking for some feedback and advice on these and perhaps any manufacturers that I haven't mentioned.

I'd really like to hear your thoughts on this. Features you like and do not.

Thanks in advance.

Matthew
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

Are you planning on buying just one, or multiple hooks for each position?

I think the Gemini hook is the best option if you can have multiple, but is too complex to try and reposition.

The MEC I feel offers the best balance between adjustability and ease of reconfiguration/repeatability during a match.
nirvanaisanx

Post by nirvanaisanx »

I was thinking about keeping the older buttplate for the standing position and using the new one for prone and kneeling.
methosb

Post by methosb »

I have one of the new Grunig butt plates. If you are going to be changing the butt plate much at all between position I wouldn't recommend it. It is extremely complicated (I think I counted about 18 different screws that can be used for making adjustments). It is an amazing piece of equipment but it just takes too long to make big changes on it. Plus it is much more expensive than the others.

Though, if I am going to get another butt plate (I have a Grunig which I am using for prone and kneeling, but don't change it much because I can't be bothered with the effort, and I use a MEC for standing) for kneeling only I wouldn't mind another Grunig. They are really solidly built and have just a tonne of very fine adjustments. Dunno about forking out the cash for it though (my current one came as part of the packaged Anschutz/G&E rifle on G&E's website so was cheaper).

I like my MEC for standing but it is a bit flimsy and more than once various screws have come loose. So I am too scared to use it in kneeling and prone with the extra pressure I would be putting on it.
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

I think the Gemini hook is the best option if you can have multiple, but is too complex to try and reposition.
I wholeheartedly agree with that, I consider the Gemini buttplate to be the single most effective piece of equipment I bought in over 40 years. However it is very difficult to alter "on the fly". If your prone and kneeling setups were close, requiring only minor change, you might get away with it; otherwise you would require two plates.

Rutty