Body weight amount on the legs

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

tsokasn

Body weight amount on the legs

Post by tsokasn »

It seems that I do something wrong.
When I shoot standing,I feel my body weight shifted on my right leg(I am a right hand shooter)I could say 30 on my left and 70 on my right while I have read it should be the opposite.
Is it wrong?Can I fix it?
Thank you!
methosb

Post by methosb »

Have you tried moving your right leg in closer? It should make it easier to push your hip to the left which in turn pushes the balance of your weight more onto the left leg.

Or if your legs were too close together you could end up leaning on your back leg to stop yourself from falling over.
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Hello methosb and thank's for the reply.
I recently changed my feet distance.Actually I shortened it.By doing this,it felt much better,but still the weight is on my back leg.
xcrunner8k

Post by xcrunner8k »

i drew a picture of Torsten Krebs' position from the book Air Rifle Shooting because it shows a good static position with all the basics. take note of the hip position; they should tilt upward toward the target, and this (at least from my experience) will be the main influence of weight distribution among the legs. the center of gravity is ideally about half way between the left foot and the midpoint of the two feet.
Attachments
ideal_static_position.JPG
ideal_static_position.JPG (41.25 KiB) Viewed 2053 times
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Hello xcrunner8k and thank's for your reply.
I've seen this photo and although I tryied to copy it and fix ny position according to the photo,it didn't work for me.
Somehow,the riffle aimed to high(that is with the buttplate all the way down to the ISSF limit...)
robf

Post by robf »

have you tried a different hand position?

or shallowing the depth of the fore-end?
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Ηello robf.
I tend to have the left arm(supporting one)near the trigger.If I move forward,the riffle gets lower a bit but not enough.I cannot shallow the depth of the fore-end because it is not my own riffle(although I once had some thoughts...!!!)
methosb

Post by methosb »

What actually hand position do you have? Fist up? Resting on the palm? Something different?

If the rifle is too high and you have your hand fist up you may want to try a palm based position which will drop the rifle considerably. You can have it with the rifle resting on the pad on your palm next to your thumb or have your palm facing to the right and your rifle resting just above your wrist. There are plenty of other ways to do it, watch a final with either of the Emmons and you will be able to see the position that they use which is again different.

Only problem with a palm position is that it is very low so the rifle can end up too far from your head to comfortably look through the sights. But if it puts the rifle on target, gets you the right weight distribution and is steady then it is better to just use some sight raisers to make the sights higher and bring them to you.
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

Hello methosb.
I am using the fist up hand position.Anything else doesn't suits me(I've tryied them)
Anyway,today on my practise,things were better.A slight modification on my feet position showed some improvement.(I have them closer than my shoulders width)