LP-10 cylinder seal replacment method

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

joecon

LP-10 cylinder seal replacment method

Post by joecon »

Hi, I've just had the (green) cylinder seal on the charging adaptor fail. There were two spares supplied, but these will not fit easily. Is there a technique to fitting one of these which will put least stress on new seal during fitting- warm or lubricate it before fitting? Thanks Joe.
RobStubbs

Re: LP-10 cylinder seal replacment method

Post by RobStubbs »

joecon wrote:Hi, I've just had the (green) cylinder seal on the charging adaptor fail. There were two spares supplied, but these will not fit easily. Is there a technique to fitting one of these which will put least stress on new seal during fitting- warm or lubricate it before fitting? Thanks Joe.
I've never found one. I just try and manipulate them a bit - i.e. stretch them over something bigger than their diameter, but to actually fit them on seems to be just brute force. I'm sure it'd be easy enough to make a tool for the job, or gunsmiths may just use needle nosed pliers to open them up first (?)

Rob.
bruce

seals

Post by bruce »

I use a biro pen top, that's has been trimmed down so that it fits snugly against the brass fitting. Then it's a matter of rolling the seal along the plastic, stretching as it goes, until it pops onto the fitting.
Warming the seal up a little also helps.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Pilkington supplies a similar tool (pen top) when you buy these replacement o-rings. Never understood what it was for until I called and asked :-)
imbecile

Re: LP-10 cylinder seal replacment method

Post by imbecile »

joecon wrote:Hi, I've just had the (green) cylinder seal on the charging adaptor fail. There were two spares supplied, but these will not fit easily. Is there a technique to fitting one of these which will put least stress on new seal during fitting- warm or lubricate it before fitting? Thanks Joe.
Also you can try to use small amount of soap, but not any lubricant like gun oil. Some gun oils can gradually ruin rubber O-rings.
joecon

It works

Post by joecon »

Thanks for the replies. After a bit of trial & error I think I have worked out the tool, see photo. It worked, made the job easier & less likely to end up with another damaged seal. Plastic pens are such useful things - emergency tracheotomies to seal fitting!!!
Attachments
New seal already fitted
New seal already fitted
bruce

Post by bruce »

no problem :)
joecon

Steyr response

Post by joecon »

I had a call from Hr. Huber of Steyr this morning in response to an email I sent re a)how to fit seal & b)what might cause seal to fail so soon. The following is my understanding of what he said; they do not offer any tool for fitting of seals, but advise manually rolling the seal on (carefully). With regard to why the seal would have failed- he advised that it is very important that while the cylinder is attached to the gun or charging adaptor that it is screwed fully home. If the cylinder is not fully home then it is possible for the seal to be in a position where it will not be held firmly when subjected to the air pressure & may distort & tear. He advised against the practice of backing off the cylinder slightly to relieve the seal, better to leave the cylinder at the normal fully home position while attached to gun including while not in use.
Joe.