Pardini Trigger Adj - How to get a "hard stop" at

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
MSC

Pardini Trigger Adj - How to get a "hard stop" at

Post by MSC »

I recently purchased a used SP. Love everything about it, except the way the trigger was adjusted - very short, indiscernible stages, and a surprise break. Nice for slowfire, but too unpredictable for timed/rapid.

I simply want a light first stage that bumps into the second with a notable stop. That, so I can take up the first on recovery from recoil and have just a touch left to release when I'm back on target.

I found Nygord's notes, searched here, and spent several hours playing with it. I've got two stages, and a nice crisp break. Trouble is, the 1st>2nd stage transition is way too smooth. I've slowly adjusted it out to where the 1st stage is turned about as light as I care to turn the screws, and the 2nd about as heavy. Still, they blend together, where I'd hope to feel a hard stop. Is there something in another screw I'm missing? I understand pretty well, what they all do, and have been making very small changes, as I've read that's often the cause.

Can anyone help? Is what I want perhaps not attainable with the Pardini?

Better yet, any Pardini trigger gurus in Connecticut? :) Always nice when someone can show you...

Thanks for any help!
william

Post by william »

Be very careful! Unlike most other pistols the Pardini sear engagement is controlled by the first stage adjustments. The second stage is only a spring-loaded detent, and it's pretty limited what you can do with it. If you want a "hard" stop between first and second stages the Pardini may not be the pistol for you.

Pardini's design also means you have to let the trigger fully return, much like a revolver, or the sear won't reset.

If you absolutely have to have what you describe, the only way I think an SP can deliver it is to adjust out the second stage altogether and use the initial free travel as a first stage
MSC

Post by MSC »

Thanks William. Guess I'll just keep tweaking it a bit at a time and see if there's some setting I can live with. Right now there's a good bit of total travel between the two stages. But if I can't feel where the 2nd stage is, it's kinda useless - just a long pull and surprise break. Now I see why I've heard people go back to the original setting.
Thanks again for clarifying things :)
tenex

Post by tenex »

Hey there MSC,
I've got my Pardini set up just as you're looking for, and the 2nd stage is quite well defined. The 2nd stage is completely artificial, and is generated by an adjustable ball detent plunger (on my gun at least). I've included some notes I wrote up a while ago, take a look and see if they help. I suppose you could have a broken spring in the plunger, you should have no problem getting the characteristics you're looking for. FYI, the vintage of my gun is 2000 or so, but the new ones should be similar in adjustments.

If you can't get it squared away send me a PM, I might be able to help out.

Steve.

P.S. You shot my Marvel a while back, I'll be up at Manchester for the AP match next month. If you don't get it straightened out by then maybe we could take a look at it.
Attachments
Pardini Trigger Setup.txt
Pardini trigger adjustment
(2 KiB) Downloaded 380 times
MSC

Post by MSC »

Thanks Steve. Appreciate the help and newfound hope! I'll be in touch...
MSC

Post by MSC »

As luck would have it, a fellow on the opposing team in our league match tonight owns/knows a lot about Pardini's. In about 20min he had the trigger set just as I've been trying to do (actually, a better feel than I expected). The spring/ball controlling the 2nd stage was in fact dirty, and somewhat bound up - likely my problem. The gun now has a solid bump into the 2nd stage, followed by a short, crisp release with just a bit more movement.