Retrofit cheek piece adjustment?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

WarWagon

Retrofit cheek piece adjustment?

Post by WarWagon »

I have an 1813 free rifle stock with the stock vertical cheek piece adjustment. I miss the ability to cant the cheek piece fore and aft, as well as angle it side to side to compensate for the cant of the rifle like the aluminum stock I used to use.

I know McMillan used to make a cheek piece adjuster similar to that of the later factory Anschutz wood stocks (I believe Jeff Doerschler had/has one on his rifle), but I doubt they make it anymore.

Are there any good/commercially available options for adding this adjustability to older Anschutz wood stocks?

Post by Guest »

You might be able to call champion shooters, I saw some that they made when I was at Camp Perry this year.
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

Might want to give ESP a call, He might have something that will work for you.

lax
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

Anonymous wrote:You might be able to call champion shooters, I saw some that they made when I was at Camp Perry this year.
Can you describe what it was you saw? I know CS makes an older style cheek piece to put on the aluminum stocks, but I didn't know they made any retrofit pieces.
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

The problem with doing much with the 1813 cheek piece is that it is cut into the stock in such a way that not much can be done without major surgery to the stock. The later models like on the 1913 and 2013 were inletted into the side of the stock and were much more flexible. I have a a few 2012 stocks that have a similar cheek piece assy to the 1813. These have lateral movement but no can't. My recommendation would be to take a rasp to it and fit it as you like. If you take too much off then body putty will shape it back. Once set you can paint it black or whatever and it wont look too offensive.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

pdeal wrote:The problem with doing much with the 1813 cheek piece is that it is cut into the stock in such a way that not much can be done without major surgery to the stock. The later models like on the 1913 and 2013 were inletted into the side of the stock and were much more flexible. I have a a few 2012 stocks that have a similar cheek piece assy to the 1813. These have lateral movement but no can't. My recommendation would be to take a rasp to it and fit it as you like. If you take too much off then body putty will shape it back. Once set you can paint it black or whatever and it wont look too offensive.
While I am aware of those limitations, I should be able to get some maneuverability out of it. I shoot with risers, so the height at which my cheek piece sits gives me enough clearance all around to where I should have room for adjustability.