50m pistol cock or not to cock that is the question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
haemis762

50m pistol cock or not to cock that is the question

Post by haemis762 »

Hello all, i picked up a free pistol for the first time in 8 years today and shot a poultry 438. However i was very happy with the score as 15 of the initial shots were below the black in a group no more than 3" in height, 8" across though, once i changed the sights the rest were all in the black. Sometimes the score gets in the road of a good shoot! I have hope... perhaps? I will have to pick the brain of those in the know.

My question, i am using a Hammerli 109 and have to use a fair bit of wrist tension to hold it up. Is i let my wrist 'lock' the for sight is nearly 1" below the rear sight. 50m shooters, should i continue to work with this grip as is but try and build my wrist strength or should i look at getting a grip that fits? The current original grip does not have the ability to cant sufficiently for me. I had no issues with the 70 odd shots i fired as i took Potter Firearms/Pilk guns method of doing the weight training.

Any guidance would be great.

Cheers Haemish
JamesH

Post by JamesH »

I don't suggest letting the wrist drops until it 'locks', although I know air and free shooter do this.
It wrecks your trigger control and your 'lock' will steadily change.
Fred

Post by Fred »

JamesH wrote:I don't suggest letting the wrist drops until it 'locks', although I know air and free shooter do this.
It wrecks your trigger control and your 'lock' will steadily change.
James,
Would you expand on this thought, particularly why it happens and what to do instead?
TIA,
FredB
edster99

Re: 50m pistol cock or not to cock that is the question

Post by edster99 »

haemis762 wrote:Hello all, i picked up a free pistol for the first time in 8 years today and shot a poultry 438.
massacre of the chickens... lol