Baikal 46M question

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ronvdp

Baikal 46M question

Post by ronvdp »

I have a fairly new 46M that seems to be misfiring (for lack of a better word). It cocks normally and when I pull the trigger there is a click but no pellet shot. When I go to cock it afterward there is a release of compressed air when the mechanism that diverts the air into the pellet chamber pops up. I have not adjusted anything but the trigger position by just a bit. Does anyone here have any ideas of what may be wrong? I've only had it a few weeks and it's been great until yesterday when this came up and it seems to be about evry other shot (attempt).

THanks in advance for any help!
wkev

Post by wkev »

Mine does the same thing. I have fired about 1000 pellets and dryfired a couple thousand more times since I bought it in June. It has just started doing this, usually starting after 30 or so dryfires. It starts making it difficult to set the trigger off and then after a few of those shots, it goes to 'misfire' all the time. Sometimes if I put the pistol down for a day, when I return it seems normal again for about the 30 shots and then starts acting up again. If I take the grips off, the sear lever seems to be cocked normally. Yet, when the trigger is pressed, the sear lever moves upward quite weakly, although it does seem to move the full distance. Almost as if the spring that moves it has lost power. Everything else looks normal as far as I can see.

Kevin Walker
ronvdp

46M

Post by ronvdp »

Mine is basically brand new, maybe 200 shots through it and I've never adjusted the trigger mechanism. I emailed Airguns of Arizona where I bought it and haven't heard back from them. I will try to call tomorrow. It's pretty annoying and to me if it doesn't fire reliably then it's worthless.
HibouAttentif

izh46m

Post by HibouAttentif »

You might want to try an e-mail directly to Baikal in Russia. In the past at least they have answered questions directly, and in English. I never had that type of problem with my 46 but I'm wondering if either the trigger adjustment were just too much for the gun (I would change them back to the way they were to see if the problem goes away). The other possibility is that perhaps you are not closing the "cover lever" (part no 57) sufficiently for the hammer to properly release? I enclose a usefull site for this gun. First link is with Baikal, but they appear to be down at the moment. Good luck.

Denis
HibouAttentif

Post by HibouAttentif »

Oops, forgot the links. 1st one is the Izzy page, 2d is Baikal.

Denis

http://www.airguninfo.com/46index.shtml

http://www.baikalinc.ru/eng/
ronvdp

Fixed

Post by ronvdp »

I'm not sure what happenned but the problem was my own fault. I apparently replaced the piston at too low of a compression to get enough power to shoot the pellet. Now that I've figured that out I am wondering how you determine how far to put the piston in when taking apart and cleaning. It almost appears like this is a power adjustment option. After putting it back to original position it shot fine. Today I adjusted it one turn further and it definitely has a bit more power. Has anyone else done this type of adjustment, I can't find anything that talks about it online.
Anyway, great gun. As a beginner I am very pleased and really enjoying it.
HibouAttentif

Post by HibouAttentif »

If your piston is removed from the pistol you can unscrew the little black screw that locks the piston in position and then screw or unscrew the piston to increase (or decrease the preasure). There is a limit to how far you can unscrew the piston (unscrewing moves the piston closer to the rear of the pistol and increases the preasure). If you unscrewed the piston too much you will hit the bottom of the chamber and it will bottom out. You can really change the speed of the pellet by using this adjustment. I now have my pistol shooting at about 480 fps using the H&N pistol pellet.

I could not find anything anywhere about this adjustment, it was just trial and error.

PS: a very nice improvement to do on the Izzy is to get the custom Vitarbo grip from Neil Johnston. Not overly expensive but it makes the gun much more pleasant to shoot.

Denis