Stance at pistol match

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
sailrecovery

Stance at pistol match

Post by sailrecovery »

At an official match, are you allowed to mark out your stance( chalk around your feet) once you are settled in?
SteveT

Post by SteveT »

Allowed? Yes.

Recommended? No.
Spencer

Re: Stance at pistol match

Post by Spencer »

sailrecovery wrote:At an official match, are you allowed to mark out your stance( chalk around your feet) once you are settled in?
I'm with SteveT, but would ask:
- why you want to do this?
- you will remember to remove the chalk marks after the Stage/Round?

Spencer
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

I didn't think that was allowed (??), but like others mentioned why would you want to do that anyway ? The stance at the start may well be different to that at the end so you'd be using the wrong positioning in the latter stages.

Rob.
sailrecovery

stance at pistol match

Post by sailrecovery »

I've marked out my stance at my home range and have kept a record of how my stance changes as I become tired. It seems I can almost predict a needed shift in my right foot as the match progresses. The chalk mark is like looking at a clock face and my feet are the hands on the clock. It allows me to be very precise when I have to adjust.

Just wondered how others think. Thanks for your comments!

All the best,
Wayne
www.waynecameron.com
vin

girlfriend...

Post by vin »

Good morning,
My girlfriend has to move her feet every time she pumps the pistol.
Her coach suggested she outline her feet...
Fred Mannis

Re: stance at pistol match

Post by Fred Mannis »

sailrecovery wrote:I've marked out my stance at my home range and have kept a record of how my stance changes as I become tired. It seems I can almost predict a needed shift in my right foot as the match progresses. The chalk mark is like looking at a clock face and my feet are the hands on the clock. It allows me to be very precise when I have to adjust.
INHO, looking at your chalk markings is not a very precise way to adjust. Reestablish your NPA by closing eyes, raising gun, adjusting stance, etc. The objective is not foot position, but aligned sights that settle naturally at your hold area. When I first started, I also marked my foot position on the floor of my home range so I could always start in the 'correct' stance. But as I progressed I found that I could assume my stance without looking at the floor. and also adjust my NPA, when needed, without reference to the floor markings. Just don't get into the habit of thinking you have to have marked foot positions - gets you nervous when you shoot a match at a range where you can't mark the floor.
Fred Mannis

Re: girlfriend...

Post by Fred Mannis »

vin wrote:Good morning,
Vin, I often shoot a SSP and find I can safely pump, without moving my feet, by swiveling my body. Depending on the range and your location, the muzzle can be 30-40 deg off center and still be safely pointed at the backstop. I also often close the pump handle by levering it against the bench (assuming a sturdy bench :-))
sailrecovery

stance at pistol match

Post by sailrecovery »

I'm not dependent on having my stance chalked out. It helped me identify several things about the way I was shooting over the length of a 60 shot match i.e. after about 35 shots I begin to shoot to the left a bit---- by turning my right foot to the right about 5 degrees it puts me back on target(solid 9's and 10's). My NPA never seems to be off at this point---I do the closed eye thing. Moving my foot works better.
vin

Post by vin »

Hi Fred,
I agree. That's how I've been doing it.
But Mary can't seem to keep the AP pointed in the right direction without moving her feet...
RobStubbs

Re: girlfriend...

Post by RobStubbs »

vin wrote:Good morning,
Then get her a precharged gun ;-)

Seriously if she has to move her feet then refind her NPA each time. With practice it will only take her a few seconds, but the obvious preference is not to move her feet between shots.

Rob.
vin

ya...

Post by vin »

I'm looking for a pcp right now... Kite or Kite Junior or what ever I can find in my price range...